Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Countering/Coping with Suicidal Ideation

Countering/Coping with Suicidal Ideation
by cc8293 on Oct 28, 2017, 10:25PM

Hi All, I have pain and mobility issues, as well as PTSD. These issues have me thinking often about suicide. I won’t act on the suicidal thoughts, but the thoughts themselves are difficult to deal with. Do folks have recommendations for how to counter or cope with suicidal ideation? Thank you, Chris

Reply: Countering/Coping with Suicidal Ideation
by EileenFlores on Aug 17, 2018, 08:48PM

Chris, Many survivors deal with these thoughts and you are certainly not alone. Here is a great resource with a 24/7 hotline available. https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ Can you share an update on how you are doing? I’m happy to set up a phone call with you soon too. You can e-mail me at eflores@amtrauma.org

by Drewp on Oct 30, 2018, 01:06PM

Hi Chris, haven’t been on here for awhile. I’m about 3 yrs out from my snowboarding accident. Suffered a brain injury and right brachial plexus injury. I too thought/ wished I could just give up. For me…keeping busy (working out, doing things), commiserating with others in a similar situation, and loving family and friends got me through it. I still have trouble with balance, am weak and sore on the right side, and speak like I’m drunk. It’s a drag….especially when I dream that I’m “normal” BUT it does get better. Hang in there and keep busy! Drew

by EileenFlores on Oct 30, 2018, 02:04PM

Hi, Drewp Thanks for sharing your story and your encouragement with other survivors. Your choice to keep going and stay engaged in your life activities no matter the challenges is really inspiring! Please let me know if you would like to share your story and picture in the Survivor Stories section of this website. If you’re interested, please just e-mail me at eflores@amtrauma.org Keep going! Cheering for you today. ** Eileen

by catlady on Nov 03, 2020, 06:25AM

Hi Chris, For me, staying busy helps most. Also, have your favorite music playing so you have something to distract your mind. Its one minute at a time! I’ve felt that way often, but fought too hard to live, so reflecting on the progress I’ve made gives me a personal boost. Hang in there, people care!

by catlady on Nov 03, 2020, 06:31AM

Hi Chris, I’ve felt that way often. I distract my mind with music, keep busy and hang in there one minute at a time. I also remember how hard I fought to live and remind myself of the progress I’ve made. You have people who care!