Struggling
by TheJonesFamily on Mar 22, 2021, 05:33PM

My son was in a motorcycle accident on October 23, 2020. He was airlifted to Barnes Jewish where he was not expected to survive the night. He did and we thought he was on the road to recovery when he developed a life threatening fungal infection in his wounds. They thought they would have to take his right leg off at the hip to control the fungus . Fortunately, after too many surgeries to remember and a doctor recommending an experimental drug, he was finally able to beat the infection. He still had many other issues, but was making enough progress that they moved him to a regular hospital bed 2 weeks ago. Then he started to go downhill rapidly, so he was transferred back to ICU. The doctors were very concerned because the issues he was having were new, low blood pressure, heart rate, etc. They did every test they could think of. Then 2 days ago they called and told me he had flat lined. He was revived but I could come to the hospital to visit before visiting hours. I called my husband to come to the hospital. I should mention we live 5 hours north of STL, so I took a leave of absence from work and have been staying in an apartment near the hospital since November. John has stabilized since one of the doctors suggested taking him off certain medications that may have caused his heart problems. My problem is I am at the end of my rope. I am normally a very strong person. But the events with my son as well as serious health issues with my Mother last year as well as my husband and dealing with the isolation from the pandemic have drained me completely. I am having trouble breathing at times and my anxiety is through the roof. I just can’t cope anymore. I have done all the things they advocate, walks, good nutrition, talking to friends, but this time it is not working. I am thinking of going home for a week and having my husband stay but feel like it will be even harder on my emotional status if I leave. My big question for all the family members who have been through a trauma with a child is how do you cope when it gets to be too much?