Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Feeling hopeless after TBI

Feeling hopeless after TBI
by Pammy5895 on Apr 19, 2015, 06:11AM

My vehicle was struck by a drunk driver on New Year’s Eve this year. As a result, I suffered bilateral subarachnoid hemorrhage. I was forced to resign from my third year of law school. At present, my sleep patterns are a disaster, depression is difficult to manage, headaches occur frequently and impair my speech, my memory is sketchy at best, and I am constantly battling fatigue which has left me pretty much homebound.

I am beginning to feel that I will never make re-entry into life because the effects of TBI are wreaking havoc on my existence!!! The doctors keep telling me to take medication and rest. However, I cannot understand how that will help me to recover the life I was living.

Any thoughts?

Reply: Feeling hopeless after TBI
by Kliegl on Sep 06, 2015, 03:15AM

My story, although different, brought me through these thoughts and places as well. I am 5 years out from my injuries and I can tell you that there are several things that made a difference for me. I have done a great deal of therapy to try to wrap my brain around what my life is now. I do not use the phrase “new normal” because I associate that with all the people in my life (medical personnel and friends/family) that meant well, but had NO clue what I was going through. My therapist helped me develop the ability to cope with the extreme frustration and anxiety I am dealing with. I really feel like this has saved me. Another thing that I’ve learned (or am learning!) is the ability to ask for and receive help as well as admit when I’m really struggling. Although my pride got in the way of this for the first year or two, I’ve found that once I did get over it I didn’t find people feeling sorry for me, but instead people generally are patient and helpful.
Best of luck to you in this difficult journey.

Reply: Feeling hopeless after TBI
by bsn on Aug 04, 2021, 04:18PM

Not sure if you have found help that truly worked yet BUT TBI isn’t for life: LENS Neurofeedback can reverse concussions and TBI. Really!