Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Our car crash story

Our car crash story
by Whosey on Jul 23, 2020, 05:37PM

On February 11th 2020 at around 2pm our lives were turned upside down in a second. My wife and I were headed home from the doctors office where I just had tested positive for flu-b. I had been running a high fever for a couple days and had gotten dehydrated. We were in 3/4 of a mile from our mailbox I know the exact distance because I jog that road about twice a week. We pulled up to the stop sign at our church and when we took off my wife lost consciousness from her blood sugar dropping at that point her foot went into the accelerator we veered off the road and smashed a large cedar tree in a neighbors yard. We both were wearing seatbelts that saved our lives but not without injuries. She suffered tibial plateau and fibula fractures on her right leg. Talus and fibula fractures on left leg. Broken ulna and humeral head fractures on left arm along with broken clavicle and right wrist. Four crushed ribs that were repaired with titanium playing. Punctured lung and lacerated spleen. She was on ventilator 5 days from hemorrhagic shock and coded 3 times. Her doctors said she’s only alive because of divine intervention and we give our God all the glory. Out of all this no spinal or brain damage. I had only 3 cracked ribs and a bruised lung and some really severe shock. February and March were spent in the hospital with her in unbelievable pain. Then on top of our crash the corona virus emerges. Because of the covid virus I was able to work from home and get her on her feet. She is now walking some but did suffer nerve damage in left arm and only has about 50% use in it right now. Working as an X-ray tech may no longer be a part of her life but we both are greatful and know God has other plans for us and our family. She is getting better everyday and even the pain is not as bad again we give our Lord and Savior Jesus all the glory

Reply: Our car crash story
by katherinejoseph on Aug 05, 2020, 03:34PM

Hi there, thank you so much for joining the TSN and sharing your story. I hope you and your wife are continuing to thrive in your recovery. If you ever had any interest in speaking with another couple who have sustained a trauma together, I’d be happy to set that up. Our goal for the TSN is for survivors to not feel alone, especially in these isolating times with COVID. Please feel free to contact me at kjoseph@amtrauma.org or 703-399-6001. Wishing you all the best! Katherine

Reply: Our car crash story
by Erica c on Apr 28, 2021, 01:46AM

I’m so sorry to hear about you and your wife, I hope you pith are doing well and continue to recover. I was in a terrible head on collision in January of this year, me and my grandpa were heading home after I had just been cleared by the doctor to go back to work and we were only a few miles away from home when a truck decided to pass a school bus in a no passing zone which killed my grandpa on impact and blew my knee joint out. I had to have surgery and for physical therapy for 2 months to learn how to use my left leg again. I suffer with ptsd and depression not to mention the survivors guilt. But people say things get better with time so maybe everything happens for a reason.