Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Hit by a Pick-Up Truck

Hit by a Pick-Up Truck
by noork12 on May 05, 2021, 02:37PM

I was hit by a pick up truck over a year ago and all I can think to myself is how all my loved ones came to visit me in the hospital and looked at me as if I was already dead. I thought I was going to die in the hospital with 8 broken ribs and so many other injuries. When it happened I became unconscious and I woke up on the road not knowing who or where I was. At one point I regained consciousness and I was in the hospital for three days which was also so traumatizing. For some odd reason this pain doesn’t leave me. It’s like it hurts more and more when I think about it or feel it. I was 19 years old. I couldn’t move for a month. I lost everything in my life. My injuries are still present today and I don’t know if I will ever heal either…

Reply: Hit by a Pick-Up Truck
by Courtbrown96 on May 19, 2021, 05:38PM

I am sorry to hear about your accident. I was hit by a vehicle November 11, 2016. I do not remember my accident but I remember a week after until now. I was 20 when it happened and I also had sepsis around December 26th, 2016. I was upset a lot and questioned why it happened. Luckily, my surgeons and physical therapists were amazing. My scars are very much present but I have started to love them. I do still have a problem with my right knee and pain. Joining this website has helped me a lot and knowing I am not alone. if you ever want to talk I will listen.

by noork12 on May 21, 2021, 05:52AM

Hi. I don’t mean to bother. I joined here because no one in my life really understood my pain or experience. Thank you for sharing your story with me. I feel less alone in my journey now. I would like to hear more about your emotional experience if that is OK. I am personally suffering and dealing with a loss with my old self. For over a year now I have been grieving who I was before my accident. I know I will never be her again which pains me a lot. I miss the person I once was, and I dealt with death as a loss of innocence. Experiencing death so close to me has taken a part of me I once knew and cannot bring back. I’ve never felt such severe emotional, mental, and physical pain. My question to you is, how are you coping with your trauma and PTSD? Do you have a therapist or are you disclosing your trauma with others? (please only answer if you feel comfortable, no pressure at all, its only love) I am struggling to let go of not this past version of myself but who I was because I am now a new person. I don’t know how to let go of my accident. I feel like I’ve moved on or at least I’m trying to, but I can’t.

by Courtbrown96 on Jun 30, 2021, 04:42AM

It’s no bother at all. I also joined because no one really understood what I was going through. My emotional experience was rough especially in the first few months after my accident. I cope with my trauma by talking about what happened. I actually made a friend on here and she and I have gotten really close and we have helped each other. For the first few months, it was tough because I had a lot of surgeries and then I went to a nursing home and I didn’t get taken care of very well so I ended up fighting an infection. I have had surgery every year since 2016 and only one of them was not due to my accident. It took me a while to really love myself and my scars. I am not going to lie when I say I am still learning how to love the new me and my scars and I have been dealing with it since November 2016. It took me time. I think within the first year I was still shocked and couldn’t believe it happened to me. As the years passed on it slowly got better I think it’s because I had a great system of friends and family. I actually just enrolled in school so that way one day I can help other survivors like myself. I am sorry if this didnt fully answer your questions.

by Courtbrown96 on Jun 30, 2021, 04:44AM

It is definitely hard at first to let go and to move on from what happened. It took me a while as well but I had people ask me questions and sometimes I would talk about it and it would help me because I remembered where I came from and how much I fought to become the person I am today scars and all.

by Rexaster on Oct 09, 2021, 03:57AM

I thought I was only one who felt like that. I was told to focus on what I can do not what I can’t. Easier said than done. I feel your pain and not alone

by Rexaster on Oct 09, 2021, 03:58AM

I thought I was only one who felt like that. I was told to focus on what I can do not what I can’t. Easier said than done. I feel your pain and not alone