Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Getting run over by a 27 ton lorry.

Getting run over by a 27 ton lorry.
by Dink on Jun 23, 2021, 02:06PM

When I was 9 year old I was run over by an 18 wheeler lorry, first set of wheels went over my hips and broke it aswell as fracturing my femur, I was at a pelican crossing and the driver didn’t see me. I was dragged and pinned under it for near to an hour waiting for ambulance and firefighters to cut me free as I was entangled in my bike because it caged itself around me. The damage done to my body was extensive loss of ligaments tendons, massive degloving injuries. I was in hospital for 3.months when it all happened I had to learn to walk again suffer with chronic pain all day everyday and it is exhausting epically never having anyone to talk to about it that understands. One of the hardest things is the constant pain never being able to do things that most take for granted like going down on all 4s I have not been able to go on my knees since nor will I ever be able to. Living with this has really taken its toll and even after all these years I still suffer every day and can’t do anything about it without knowing why.

Reply: Getting run over by a 27 ton lorry.
by Courtbrown96 on Jun 30, 2021, 04:33AM

First I am sorry about what happened. I completely understand what you mean when you say you cannot go on your knees. My right knee was messed up in my accident and I cannot bend it as it should bend due to it being full of scar tissue and two of my ligaments being messed up. I also had to learn how to walk. I am sorry you are dealing with chronic pain. I cannot imagine what you must be going through with chronic pain. So far my pain is not as bad but I have a feeling when I get older I will probably deal with chronic pain. I also learned not to take life for granted. I was hit by a car at highway speeds around 50 or 60 miles per hour and I had more bones broken than anything. If you ever want to talk you can always send me a message and I will make sure I reply.