Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Never thought it could happen

Never thought it could happen
by Molly450 on Jun 23, 2021, 02:06PM

On May 29,2019 my then fiancé and I went on our Bachelor/Bachelorette weekend to the Hatfield and McCoy trails. The following day we went out on the trails and were having a good time. We have been riding forever and always knew it could be dangerous but you never realize it until something happens… we were going up a rock face and when my fiancé went to hit the brakes there weren’t any… I can remember looking at him right before we flipped backwards down 250 feet. I could see the scared look in his eyes. When we got to the bottom I can remember a friend running over and told me not to look down… it’s bad! He took me out of the rzr, laid me on the ground and put a tourniquet on my arm. It felt like I was laying there for days. The ambulance finally got there and I was taken to Pikeville Hospital in Kentucky. I remember they kept telling me I was going to lose my arm. I was then taken to UofL trauma Center. After a stent in the ICU and several extensive surgeries they were able to reconnect my arm. I was sent back home to Wheeling, WV and traveled back and forth for several out patient surgeries. The physical recovery was hard but I am still mentally trying to recover. If anyone reading this would like to talk or share stories please reach out to me.

Reply: Never thought it could happen
by Courtbrown96 on Jun 30, 2021, 04:21AM

Hello Molly, First I want to say I am sorry about what happened. Second I want to say that I am glad the doctors were able to reconnect your arm, I cannot imagine how scary that was for you. How are you since what happened to you both physically and mentally? I hope things get better for you. If you would like to feel free to send me a message and I will do my best to reply back.