Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Impaled by chair leg

Impaled by chair leg
by BrookeJay on Aug 23, 2021, 06:19PM

Hi, I’m really new to this. I’ve been looking for a forum pretty much since my injury. A little info on my injury. I was cleaning the lounge roof and was standing on a chair and slipped and overturned the chair and I feel and impaled my right armpit and pec/chest on the chair leg. I have had broken bones and operations before, so I honestly expected my recovery to be relatively quick. Report from the hospital said that they had had to tie up quite a few vines, removed a large hematoma and put in about 30 stitches. I’m now seven weeks post injury/surgery and the pain is terrible, I’ve got nerve damage all down my arm and I can barely do anything for myself. I think the hardest thing for me to come to terms with, is the fact that I have always been a physically strong female, has always had physical jobs and played sport. That I won’t ever be like that again, and now I don’t know what I’m going to do with my life or career anymore. The isolation is also not nice. As someone who has always suffered from depression, this recovery is really hard. I am a solo mum, I don’t really have many friends and my family lives in another country. I suppose I just wanted to hear from other people and what there experiences were or are. I feel like it’s never going to end sometimes

Reply: Impaled by chair leg
by plopez on Oct 16, 2021, 04:10PM

I have always been a single mom too with a dysfunctional family…none of which have helped me much, so I understand the isolation. Mine is knees, a fractured knee that can’t seem to ever get better despite repeated treatments and recent surgery, and cartilage damage to other knee as well that causes me to be in pain from both almost all the time. Life is worth living; I keep telling myself that. I’m 22 mos in and like you was always active. I keep trying to just be on the planet, you know, but yes, it can be so hard some days. Thank you for sharing your story

Reply: Impaled by chair leg
by GoldenPhoenix on Oct 19, 2022, 10:26PM

My injury is on my hip due to a surgery positioning. My sciatic nerve got injured and it’s been over 1.5 years. The pain is really bad. It prevents me from doing anything. I can only lie on my belly 24 hours a day. My family is also in another country. I have been under depression and isolation for a while. It’s really really difficult, but we have to conquer it. And I believe we will. How do you feel now? I also want to hear other ppl’s story to get some hope.