Encounter with a Tree Stump Grinder
by davidnweber on Aug 31, 2021, 02:45PM

This story just goes to show that even a trained safety professional is human and makes mistakes. April 10, 2021 started off like many other weekends. This weekend I had plans on cleaning up my backyard in preparation for the coming Summer months. These plans even included starting a long delayed construction project that included a pergola covered hot tub area. The day began with me trying to decide what to wear as it was already hot here in SW Texas. Safety got the better of me and I opted for my safety toe boots. I’m always wearing the proper PPE when doing yard work as I am also a Safety representative for the US government. After picking up a rented tree stump grinder form our local rental store I was already hesitant as I had difficulty unloading the almost 300 lb. machine from the back of my pickup. Once I got it positioned where I needed it, I started the machine and everything was going smoothly until the vibrations got the best of my hands and I found it difficult to maintain a grip on the kill bar and maneuver the machine as needed. After about 15 minutes of this, I finally had what I thought at the time was the bright idea of zip-tying the kill bar to the on position. This also afforded me the opportunity to get in front of the machine so that I could better view where the high rpm spinning grinding disc was striking the tree stump. Much to my surprise I discovered a handle on the trailer arm of the grinder which I could use to lift and place the grinder exactly where needed. All was going well until after lifting and dropping the grinder down 3-4 times. The last tie I lowered it was directly on top of my left foot due to my complacency. It immediately felt as if a sledge hammer slammed into my foot, and I released the handle which in turn truly saved my foot because the ground was unlevel where I was operating it caused the machine to veer away from me rather than drop straight down on top of the foot. The safety toe boot also helped by diverting the grinding discs away from the top of the foot. However, this caused the machine to jump over the top of the foot and pulverize the outside calf muscle on my left leg. The initial shock and adrenaline caused me to feel no pain as I surveyed my foot, which was now at an almost 90 degree angle from what is normal due to the muscle no longer able to control the outside four toes. Almost immediately my brain said " that’s not good" followed by “oh it’s not that bad”. A split second after thinking this a huge well of blood poured out and then my brain said “wait, oh yeah, that’s not good”. Funny how your brain works as I remember somethings but not other events that followed. I started towards our backdoor which was 50 some odd feet away. Next thing I remember was that I was frantically pounding on our back door to get my wife’s attention. When she opened the door I immediately told her to take me to an emergency services clinic which is just around the corner from our house. This being around 8:30 am, she was still lazing about, thinking little of what had just occurred. She then scrambled to change into street clothes and find the keys to our car. I stayed at the door way thinking that I needed to go through our garage door and then out the front in order to prevent messing up the house. After 2-3 seconds of this thought process I said to myself “hey, get moving you’re bleeding quite a bit” and started to make my way through the house and out the front door. I do not remember ever going through the house entirely or walking to the car, but here I was. I next remember getting in the car but not the quick drive to the urgent care clinic. Once there I was swarmed by the staff who stabilized me and got me ready for air flight to San Antonio. I was in and out of consciousness due to the shock and pain meds that they were pumping into me. The next thing I know I was in the emergency center of University Health Systems of San Antonio, Texas. Here I spent the next 66 days in hospital where debridement and muscle flap transfer from my upper left thigh to the damaged outer calf was performed as well as a skin graft from upper right thigh to cover the upper left thigh donor site. I even came back for another week’s stay after being initially released where they took another skin graft from upper right thigh to place on left calf on the back side. Unfortunately, this second skin graft did not take and the decision to open air heal the wound was made. Today is day 129 and I am able to use a walker to mobilize in my house with physical therapy taking place 3 times a week at our local hospital in order to retrain my left leg and foot to walk. Edema of the injured foot is a constant battle but hopefully, as the leg strengthens this will correct itself. Thanks to all the medical staff that helped and are helping me, thanks to God almighty for saving not only me but also my foot, thanks to co-workers, friends and family but especially my wife for being there and afterwards when I doubted myself and my abilities. To everyone that has suffered a major trauma, Stay strong and you will get through this!!!!