Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

I'm A HOPEster

I'm A HOPEster
by hopetbi on Oct 11, 2022, 10:53PM

Howdy Folks, My name is Caren and I am a survivor of a Catastrophic Car Accident from January 2014. It was a head-on collision, my seatbelt failed and I was ejected approx 10-15 feet from the vehicle. I was ejected from the driver seat out the front passenger side. My body bent the frame of the door outward and it appears I was ejected over the frame of the bent out part of the door. I have no memory of the accident still to this day. I sustained a polytrauma and a closed head injury that resulted in a traumatic brain injury. It has been an 8 year struggle, ongoing journey, continual rehabilitation, and developing a path to re-invent myself. I still have a lot to overcome, utilize a lot of strategies, and am still dealing with a lot of adjustments to my life which are continually evolving, changing, and somewhat stuck in a plateau of sorts. I am here to be a support, get support, encourage self-advocacy and continue to move forward with my life as much as possible. HOPE has been my battlecry of survival since day 1 and this has an immense impact in my every day life. I am a HOPEster. My story is at www.hopetbi.com

Reply: I'm A HOPEster
by Twana on Nov 22, 2022, 02:57AM

Hi, Caren- I like your offering of using a lot of strategies and the recognition that there are adjustments and that recovery is evolving. It can be hard to persevere. I’ve begun to have a few moments after 16 months post-trauma in which I don’t mull over the events and whether there was anything I could have done differently. My injury was very different – I was a multiple gun shot victim – but the path of recovery is similar. We’re all taking it one day at a time. My biggest obstacle (which isn’t really the right word) is that I worry a bit that I talk too much about the impact of the tragedy on my life. It is THE defining moment for us. It’s nice to see I’m not alone with the questions. Twana in Tennessee