Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Should not be here

Should not be here
by stangmangt on Nov 01, 2022, 07:00PM

April 23rd 2022. I rode my motorcycle to work. I worked a normal Saturday and all was good. My wife and 2 of her daughters were out of town in Maryland for a cheer competition. I finished out my day and knew I had to get to the store sometime before they got back. Well it was a nice day out so I decided to ride my motorcycle back home. I did that and left my dogs out and got ready to leave to go back to work to get my car so I can go to the store. This turned out to be a bad decision. All I remember is I left the house on the motorcycle and I woke up in the hospital. From the stories I gathered from people was a teenage girl was sitting in the middle turning lane of a two lane road. She was waiting to turn into her place of work. Witnesses saw her and they saw me approaching a signal light when the teenage girl turned right into my path. I had no time at all to react. Witnesses watched as I hit the passenger door of her car and sent me flying over the roof of the car and about 10 yards or more down the road and hit the pavement head first and bouncing my head off the pavement. I WAS NOT wearing a helmet. Pennsylvania you do not have to wear a helmet. Those who witnessed this horrific accident immediately stopped traffic and rushed to my aide.I was knocked out. One witness that saw my hit her and fly over the car and hit the pavement said it was very brutal most horrible accident he ever witnessed when he was asked if he was going to go help me he saw all the blood everywhere he said no. That guy laying there is dead. Other people that witnessed this all came to my aide and surrounded me and put a blanket over me because some passer byes were trying to take pictures of me laying there. They stayed with me till I was taking by ambulance and rushed to the hospital. Someone on scene and found my cell phone and somehow was able to call my dad to tell him what happened. My dad showed up just as the ambulance pulled out so he followed the ambulance to the hospital. Once there they rushed me inside and told my dad it didn’t look good. I wasn’t responding. As they worked on me my day reached out to my wife they left the competition before the awards for some reason when he reached her she was still about an hour away. He told her all he knew was your husband was in a bad motorcycle accident and he was awaiting word how I was. So she started to rush to the hospital. Few moments later my dad called her back and said it didn’t look good that I had a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain among other issues. So everyone arrives at the e r and was awaiting to be brought back to see me. They allowed everyone around me including my son. Laying there I was awoke by my mom who passed away in 2013 she gave me a push I saw a bright light then I woke up and saw my wife and family all looking at me with sad but relieved faces dripping with tears. I couldn’t move I asked what happened what’s going on. They told me that I was involved in a horrible motorcycle crash. I was screaming and goin nuts in the e r they had told me about the fractured skull with bleeding on the brain. My left wrist needed rebuilt it was fractured along with my right ankle fractured they couldn’t do surgery on it with all the cuts around it. I had over 30 some fractures and facial lacerations. I had a mouth full of road dirt and rocks and in my lungs. I spent 32 days in the trauma unit at the hospital. Spent 3 months of therapy and still have issues to this day. Ptsd and many other issues. I do not recall the accident or first 3 weeks in the hospital. I couldn’t believe what I put my wife and family through. I always question myself. How am I here? How am I not dead? How did I come out of this so far and back to work 4 months later. I battle with so many issues but I keep it to myself. I put my wife through enough already. So many questions left unanswered that would like to know but my wife says it best I don’t it could make things worse. So this is my story I’m looking for people to talk to and maybe help me understand.

Reply: Should not be here
by tiggy857 on Nov 17, 2022, 09:28PM

I asked myself the same question. How and why did I survive? We are still here for a reason. I believe that God has a plan for us. Keep healing and talking. If you have questions you should ask questions and allow your wife to be part of your healing process.

by Twana on Nov 22, 2022, 02:35AM

Hey, Maryland: There’s a lot of weight associated with surviving something that seemed in-survivable, huh? I had (and still have) a lot of “why me’s” and wondering how in the world I was so damned fortunate. Dude, I survived ten gunshot wounds. I never used to really pay much attention to the mirror. I’m not very concerned with appearance. But now, I see the scars across my shoulder, chest, waist and legs and just marvel at why in the world I am still here. I am learning that many of the questions will remain unanswered, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have questions. It’s okay – even expected – to have questions. It is a defining moment in our lives. I hope you won’t begrudge yourself the questions. It can also be fodder for some really great conversations with those you care about. One day at a time. Twana in Tennessee

by Jtoisserkani on Dec 10, 2022, 03:16AM

I’m here for you bro, I understand the pain of being in a motorcycle accident. Having a family you affected by the “very small action” of hopping on the motorcycle. Im just a preacher of how dangerous it is now because you never know what’s going happen on the road . Cars and motorcycle accidents happen every single day . And i don’t like the idea of “never feeling the same” but I’m a different person now, before I took life of granted. I just wish I was more grateful before the accident because we don’t have time machines. My accident happened more 8 weeks ago . Still recovering and I have a long road ahead of me. I have 3 small children so life is rough rn. But I’m expected to make a full recovery.