Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

The Protection and Advocacy (P&A) System and Client Assistance Program (CAP)

P&A agencies have the authority to provide legal representation and other advocacy services, under all federal and state laws, to all people with disabilities (based on a system of priorities for services). All P&As maintain a presence in facilities that care for people with disabilities, where they monitor, investigate and attempt to remedy adverse conditions. These agencies also devote considerable resources to ensuring full access to inclusive educational programs, financial entitlements, healthcare, accessible housing and productive employment opportunities.

CAP agencies (many of which are housed within P&A offices) provide information and assistance to individuals seeking or receiving vocational rehabilitation (VR) services under the Rehabilitation Act, including assistance in pursuing administrative, legal and other appropriate remedies.  To contact your state P&A/CAP go to: 

You can call a P&A about employment when:

  1. You want to know what help is available to get or keep a job.
  2. You want to know what will happen to your benefits if you go to work. Benefits may include- Social Security, Medicaid, TANF, Medicare, Housing, Food Stamps, Transportation
  3. You have transportation problems getting to and from work.
  4. You believe you were not hired or given a different job because of your disability.
  5. You were not given the help you needed to do your job.
  6. You think people at your job are bothering you or not treating you fairly because of your disability. 

You can call the CAP for help with employment when:

  1. You need help getting services from VR (Department of Vocational Rehabilitation Services).
  2. You have been told you cannot get help from VR to go to school or get a job.
  3. No VR plan has been developed because you and your counselor disagree about your education or job goal or other help you need.
  4. VR services have been denied or delayed.
  5. VR is not helping you find a job.
  6. Your VR counselor will not return your calls.
  7. You got a new VR counselor and she/he wants to change your plan to get a job. 

Call your state P&A if you have a disability and are having problems in one or more of the following areas:

  1. Moving out of a nursing home
  2. Getting your medications paid for
  3. Getting the health care services you need
  4. Renting a place to live
  5. Being evicted or having problems where you live because of your disability
  6. Being discharged from a hospital into a nursing home and you don’t believe this is right place for you
  7. Getting transportation to get to go places
  8. Your Social Security or other benefits have been stopped
  9. You need a wheelchair, TTY, mobility cane or other aids to help you be independent
  10. You were denied the right to vote because of your disability
  11. You want to know what your voting rights are
  12. Following an accident or illness you have problems with memory, thinking, behavior, keeping a job, following directions, getting along with others or doing things the way you use to.
  13. You are not allowed into a store, restaurant or other community setting because you have a service animal or for other reasons related to your disability.