Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Witnessed my mom have a seizure

Witnessed my mom have a seizure
by joeyerickson on Feb 23, 2021, 09:18PM

A few days ago, I heard my mom fall and went to go see what happened. I found her seizing on the ground. Her eyes and lips were tightly shut and she was frothing from the mouth. I instantly called 911 and my dad went by her side trying to help her. When she woke up, she had this look in her eyes like she didn’t know what was happening, where she was, or what was going on. An ambulance came and took her to the hospital, which was 2 days ago. She’ll be there for 2-4 more days, according to my father and the doctors. I’m not allowed to see her, because due to COVID, she can only have one visitor (and the said visitor is unable to be switched, it can only be the same one visitor), and that visitor is my dad. She’s getting better now, she can talk again and is cognitive, but I just cannot get the image out of my head of her seizing on the floor. It’s extremely horrible. The last time I saw her she was in that state, so I need to see her in person in a better state to calm myself down I think, but that won’t happen for a while. How do I cope/stop having this image be burned into my mind?

Reply: Witnessed my mom have a seizure
by katherinejoseph on Mar 10, 2021, 07:13PM

Hi there, thank you so much for sharing your story and joining the TSN website. I am so glad you were there to call 911 immediately and get your mom the help she needed. When you witness a traumatic event, it is totally normal to have the feelings that you are feeling. How is your mom doing now? Do you have an idea of when you might get to see her in person? Please do not hesitate to reach out. Katherine Joseph, kjoseph@amtrauma.org