Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Accomplishments!!

Accomplishments!!
by ginak94 on Apr 25, 2013, 10:47PM

I got in a car accident two and a half yrs ago and broke both of my femurs. One was a compound fracture and also tore some tendons in it and shattered my knee. A part of my knee was left in the ignition, but they rebuilt it. I had 14 screws and 2 plates in my right leg that were removed last January. I have a rod in my leg leg and some pins in my left hip. I feel like having this accident has made me such a stronger person, and it gives me a lot of goals and encouragement. I honestly believe my accident was a great experience. I feel like everyday I have a goal to look forward to accomplishing. A week ago and again yesterday I ran a 10 minute mile! For me even to run again is incredible. Everybody who is a trauma survivor should feel so excited about accomplishing things. Even little things count, because we all have been through hell and back! I am proud of all of us. So I made this thread so others can talk about all of their accomplishments…
Also, I have started building up my leg muscles again! I`m so excited!
:)

Reply: Accomplishments!!
by Katparris on May 03, 2013, 01:27AM

Wow! You’ve hit some amazing milestones. It’s inspiring to hear how far you have come. Thanks for sharing the positives on this journey.

by Heath on Jun 28, 2013, 06:39PM

Good job!!! I had my accident 3 years ago. About a year ago I started using a cane, by doing tons and tons of squats. Glad to hear that you have gotten better, and I know it still feels like a there’s a long journey a head. Keep up the good work and THANKS!!!

by cookieslovebrook on Jul 05, 2013, 01:26PM

Thanks for sharing!!! I remember when I wasn’t allowed to run or drive and my injuries weren’t even related to my legs. Running was my main outlet to peace of mind. When I was allowed to run again I did!! I ran a 5k hthe last day of that yr to end/start right. My mom went with me to that one to watch. First one I had company for. It was amazing to do what I love and inspire others along the way.

by ultra122 on Jul 31, 2013, 03:38PM

Thanks for sharing your accomplishment! My accident was only 8 mos ago and this was encouraging to read how far your hard work has brought you!

by ginak94 on Feb 13, 2014, 04:59AM

So happy to hear my post was nice for all you all to read. Glad you all are building up strength and goals as well!! Keep it up, it only gets better. Know how I posted a ran a 10 minute mile? Well like for a month straight I was running like 4-5 miles a week…like 2 times a week I would run 2 miles at once without stopping..prob about 19 minutes total…it was nice…feels good… I love what this accident has brought out of me :)

by tjoenks on May 14, 2014, 06:35PM

Awesome job!!!

by tjoenks on May 14, 2014, 06:41PM

It was three years ago a minivan decided the motorcycle with the right of way was in her way and ran us over.. I suffered multiple fractures as the passenger that decided to be superwoman without a cape. It has been a long road of recovery, and I thought life was finally looking up when whammo… I started falling for no reason and my legs decided walking was an option again. There is long tern nerve damage to my legs. I work on a military installation and had the honor and priveledge to cheer on our nation’s wounded warriors as they rode bikes from Cincinatti Ohio to Nashville TN. Some had to pedal with arms as they had lost their legs in combat. I also got to do a welcome home ceremony for Heath Calhoun. He is a US Paraolympian that took the Silver medal in Sochi this past winter in the Alpine Sit Ski. He had lost his legs to an IED while serving our nation. I decided I have legs. Ok they may not want to work all the time but they are there and darn it I control them not the other way around. Our local Rotary Club hosts a centurian bicycle ride each year in August. They run a 33, 60, 75, and 100 mile route. This August I will do my first ride on the 33 mile course. I don’t care where I finish, my goal is just to finish.. Heck I beat my trauma this far… there is no stopping me now!

by ginak94 on Jun 27, 2014, 01:35AM

Wow!!! That is incredible! It sounds like you have come a far way! Shoot, 33 miles is a really nice bike ride!! I hope you enjoy it and get the amazing satisfaction out of it! :-) good luck!

Gina