Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Miracles do happen

Miracles do happen
by Cupoftea on Sep 28, 2017, 05:00AM

Hi everyone, just thought I would jot my car story down. Hope this helps me as much as it helps others out there to know we are not alone. My day started off quite normal, got up and brushed off my car before heading to work for a 12hr day shift. I work as an ER nurse and picked up this shift for a fellow colleague. Stupid right? On my way to work I entered an intersection on a yellow light, roads were icy so I proceeded to go through, little did I know I wouldn’t make it through the intersection let alone to work that day. A truck T-boned me on the drivers side, I slid into a ditch and hit a nearby pole head on. Was in and out of conciousness while trapped inside the vehicle and waited until paramedics arrived. I woke up in the hospital, being told the extent of my injuries. I couldn’t see out of my left eye at all, nor could I move my left arm or hip. I sustained a left eye orbital floor fracture, fractured my pelvis in 4 places and dislocated my sacrum, fractured bilateral 1st and 2nd ribs, collapsed left lung, lacerated spleen, lacerations to my kidney, fractured elbow and left wrist. Long story short I spent 1 week in ICU, 2 weeks in trauma. I left the hospital in a wheelchair and was on bed rest for a few weeks, it’s safe to say my husband became my nurse. I participated in extensive physiotherapy at home for about 2 months. That’s when the most bizarre bat shit crazy thing happened. I found out that I was pregnant and 2.5 months to be exact, my OBGYN informed me that I was indeed pregnant during my accident and must of conceived the weeekend just prior to the crash. Um come again?? Yup that’s right, I was in complete denial! With the amount of XRays, scans, blood thinners, pain medications and surgeries, this baby survived it all. So I can say my story does have a happy ending, I survived and have a healthy beautiful baby girl who also survived. I too like many others had my doubts about why I survived and still have nightmares and flashbacks occasionally. I can admit I am very fearful of drivers on the road and while riding as a passenger, anyone else feel this way? All in all i am making strides forward not only for myself but for my daughter. It is a miracle we are both alive and I’m trying my best to live In the moment. I am determined to be better each day for my patients and express to them that I know how it feels to be on the other side of the bed.

Reply: Miracles do happen
by bmunsky on Nov 01, 2017, 11:57PM

Thank you for sharing your story. It seems like your car accident resulted in you having a fear of driving and gave you an appreciation of life that you may not have had before. Not only did you survive. Your unborn daughter survived the accident as well as the medical care and everything else that resulted from your trauma. Im sure you were a great nurse before your trauma. Being a trauma survivor and a patient yourself may make you even more compassionate and empathetic towards your patients. I wish the best for you and your little trauma survivor. Thanks again for sharing, Bruce Munsky