Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

I'm no stranger to pain

I'm no stranger to pain
by MikeyG133 on Mar 06, 2013, 07:19PM

I have face the threat of death more than once. The first time I was 10 years old. I was on holiday to Spain with friends. One time when we were going out for dinner I was not feeling well so I was allowed to go and rest in the car so I climbed into the back middle seat and did not put my belt on. The father of the friends who I was staying with had an argument about who was going to drive. He got in the car and drove off leaving them behind and me in the back seat of the car asleep and unaware of what was happening. He crashed head on with a bus. We were going at 60 and the bus 50. I was ejected through the bus. My body was impaled with glass. I broke my legs in more than 10 places each, my hips were destroyed, ribs and a few vertebrae were fractured. My arms were almost so ruined that they going to amputate but thankfully decided against it. My collar bones and skull were also fractured. The glass in my chest had ruptured several internal organs including my right lung and wind pipe. I woke up drowning in my own blood in the hospital. Had over 30 operations to fix my skeleton . Staying in the hospital for 8 months felt like prison. I thankfully made an almost full recovery in 2 years. I decided to impress everyone by getting a paper round. 4 months in a drunk driver hit me on my bike. I suffered a compound fracture in my ankle and pretty much my whole leg. I hit my head and suffered minor brain damage. The experiences taught me that I should never take anything for granted. I have become rather religious and I can understand what people with cancer have to go through every day

Reply: I'm no stranger to pain
by Chark on Mar 27, 2013, 05:31AM

Wow! You’ve been through a lot! What is a paper round? What physical effects do you continue to deal with? And finally, how would you describe your becoming “rather religious”?
I had a serious accident five years ago, but it seems pretty mild compared to yours! I had traumatic brain injury, so I’m especially curious about your brain damage.
Thanks for sharing!
Charkk

Reply: I'm no stranger to pain
by MikeyG133 on Apr 03, 2013, 11:36PM

A paper round is a job when a young person delivers newspapers in the very small hours of the morning. I lucky enough not to still suffer too many physical problem apart from regular pain management. The real hassle was the brain injury. It gives migraines frequently and there are times when I easily suffer extreme fatigue and tiredness. The most annoying thing is that I know have epilepsy which is a real nuisance. Finaly since I have come to terms with the accidents I have come to appreciate life so much more than before and be ready for death