Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Can I have my face back

Can I have my face back
by Face Off on Apr 15, 2013, 10:25PM

At this moment I am some what a survivor. My trauma started Nov 18, 1984 I was in a serious car accident were my head went out the window and the other car actually hit the right side of my head and face just so happen it was a E.M.S coming down the street they rush me to a hospital that was close but they couldn’t take care of my injuries so I was rush to Receiving Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. I was in surgery for 18 hours I was in the hospital for about a month. When I was able to process all of this I had lost and eye my head had a big dent in it my jaw bone was gone also I had a lot of facial scares. It is so hard to write my story because the emotions I’m going though while I’m writing so when you read this story you might see to be continue. Back to my story after my recovery from the hospital I had to start my facial reconstruction surgery little did I know after all of my surgery’s I would be right back were I started meaning all the pain and suffering doctors making big mistakes on my face I have to start my reconstruction surgery all over. For me right now I don’t really trust doctors that is very hard because I need them to help me get better.Well sense my last entree I’ve seen a couple of doctors some helpful some not I will be getting my teeth fixes goodie I will be able to crunch on some food.The pain doctor help me some my pain right now is overwhelming he was able to give me some comfort also I’m having big problems with my Insurance company to be continue…..

Reply: Can I have my face back
by Katparris on Apr 17, 2013, 07:07PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It sounds like your experience was really life changing. I hope to hear more about your recovery.

by faceruined on May 18, 2013, 11:24PM

i have had an accident with the train and ruined my face..i am 28 female and was a succesful person…

by cmcginnes12 on May 22, 2013, 08:20PM

On 10/22/2010 I tried to end my life with a gunshot to my head. I destroyed the right side of my face. I lost half of my teeth, 1/3 of my tongue, right jaw, right cheek and bones, eye, mouth and a lot of soft tissue. Basically, the right side of my face was gone. Miraculously, I survived without brain damage. I used to be a pretty girl, now, people stare because of my injuries.

I have had 31 reconstructive surgeries so far. My recovery is a miracle. Until a few months ago I communicated with a white board and got all of my nutrition through a feeding tube. Now, I can speak with difficulty and can eat and drink. I have learned that beauty is in the way we approach life, the way we treat people. I will never be conventionally pretty, but I have a beautiful smile. This is my “new normal” and some days are harder than others to adjust.

I won’t say things like “you will be ok” and “don’t feel bad.” I DO promise you that you won’t always feel this way. Some times will be better and you will feel stronger than ever. Other moments will leave you trembling and wanting to hide under the covers forever. For right now, know that I get it, and you don’t have to go through this alone. Feel free to write me anytime.
Christen

by Face Off on May 25, 2013, 05:36AM

Thank you so much for your reply it really helps to know that I’m not alone.

by KatyHollis on Jun 13, 2013, 10:15PM

I want to let you know that you are definitely a survivor. Not “somewhat a survivor”. You are here today. Each day you are putting one foot in front of the other. Yes, some days are going to harder than others. Some days are going to be better. But each day that you are getting through is another day that you are living.

I was in a fireworks accident with my two children in 2007. You are never alone.