Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

So BLESSED!!

So BLESSED!!
by ayoung2002 on Jun 25, 2013, 02:29PM

My car accident happened on February 16, 2008 17:26 on Rt. 144 in Howard County MD. I was driving my friends 2000 Pontiac Trans AM and lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle left the road way and proceeded to flip and role several times. During the time of the role somehow my seat belt broke and I was ejected out of the driver side window. Both the car and I came to rest a few feet apart the car at that point was on its side and rolled back over onto is wheels in the opposite direction to me. Minutes later an off duty PG county paramedic happen to come by and was the first one on the scene. I was unconscious barely breathing from a collapsed right lung and bleeding badly from my face. West Friendship was the responding fire and rescue units. Once I was stabilized on the ground I was air lifted priority 1 by Trooper 8 to University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

After arriving at UMMC trauma surgeons discovered two spots on my brain where blood had formed but deemed it not necessary to operate at that time, they closely monitored this over the next few days. I was stable and breathing on my own with a chest tub on my right side. I eventually came into consciousness a few days later and had to learn how to walk steady again and start to build my strength back before I could be released to go home and then Kernans for rehabilitation and speech therapy. Shock trauma doctors wanted to see me back in four weeks for another MRI to make sure the blood was gone. After that fourth week I was cleared and the blood was gone. I was back to work in a little over a month after rehab was completed.

The last thing I remember was making the left on Rt. 144 that February evening and waking up in shock trauma a few days later. I was told by Howard County Traffic that I had been very lucky 3 times during the accident. First my vehicle had crossed the double line and no cars were oncoming at that time the second was I missed a telephone poll by inches before the vehicle left the roadway and finally when I was ejected the car did not roll my direction. He stated if I had stayed in the car I would have been crushed by the transmission being pushed into the driver’s side. I am so BLESSED and I count them every day

Reply: So BLESSED!!
by KatyHollis on Jun 28, 2013, 12:36PM

Thanks for sharing your story — I love that you end your story with the three reasons you were lucky. I do the same thing with my story. Despite the tragedy you can always find a reason to be thankful.

Reply: So BLESSED!!
by ayoung2002 on Jun 28, 2013, 02:40PM

Thank you Katy for the response, every day I wake up is a blessing there is always a reason to be thankful.