Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Fun time at the pool!!!!

Fun time at the pool!!!!
by Heath on Jun 28, 2013, 06:28PM

HI! My name is Heath and I had my diving accident 3 years ago. I fractured the C-2 vertebrae in my neck and bruised my brain in 3 places. I was in the hospital for 3 months, and one month of that time I was unconscious. During that month the Drs did everything they could but there was a week that was iffy, they weren’t sure if I was going to make it. As a result it effected the left side of my body. Even though I have gotten a little use back, the Dr. does not know if it is permanent or not. Up until about a year ago I had my mom staying with me to help out. Over the last year I have started to walk again with the use of a cane, by doing tons and tons of squats. And look forward to starting school in the Fall. So far everything the Drs have said I couldn’t do I’ve done. My word to everybody is to just try. You never know if you can do it, and you never know by doing something for yourself you maybe helping someone else.

Reply: Fun time at the pool!!!!
by SarahHendrickson on Jul 05, 2013, 02:03PM

Heath, I think what you said, “you never know by doing something for yourself you maybe helping someone else” is a powerful statement for survivors. Surviving means rewriting your story from what you imagined to what you never imagined possible! Once you have survived a trauma, beating the odds during recovery can often be less about luck and more about effort. So, good on you for surpassing the Dr.’s expectations!

I wish you continued recovery and encouragement to keep helping others here on the Trauma Survivors Network.

Reply: Fun time at the pool!!!!
by Heath on Jul 05, 2013, 05:27PM

Thanks Sarah. Just trying to keep moving forward. Before my accident I always had to be busy in some way and nothing has changed since then. I truly believe that you can sit on the couch and hope that things get better or You can get out there and make it happen. Hope you have a great day!!!