Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Does anyone else understand my feelings?

Does anyone else understand my feelings?
by anonymous232 on Oct 28, 2013, 02:42PM

At the moment I feel very lonely and kind of in denial because I have nobody to share my feelings with. Last year I was a passenger in a car that hit the back of a parked HGV. I was the only survivor from the accident and it burns my heart everyday. We were four in the car and my girlfriend was asleep on my shoulder at the time. I fractured vertebrae in my back, fractured ribs and collarbone. It causes me a fair amount of discomfort especially my back but nothing compared to my emotional and psychological trauma.

When I wake up in the morning I wish I wouldnt wake up again, I do not want to continue this life of suffering when everything I love is taken from me. Now I often wonder if I am alive or in a kind of hell, I just cannot understand how three people around me sitting next to me can all die but not me. How can it be? Even if I maybe alive physical my spirit and my will to life died that day.

As a teenager my mother also died so in my relatively short life I feel all I have known is sadness. In my grief I feel I have lost years that should have been filled with happiness. The last year and a half have been such a blur I do not know what happened it just disappeared into a black cloud of grief. I wonder if I will have the chance to enjoy life.

It is very isolating to survive such an experience and is beyond the realms of most peoples worst nightmare so it is very isolating. I wont even talk about it with friends because they don’t even nearly understand how it feels.

I am also so tired of this physical pain that serves as a constant reminder to my mental anguish. At least now I have let go of my guilt, I used to analyse every detail of my life before the accident. I would think what happens if that morning I spent 5 minutes more in bed or if the week before I slipped and sprained my ankle or the driver did not park there.

Anyway I just needed to say that, I am not sure if anyone will read this

Reply: Does anyone else understand my feelings?
by KatyHollis on Oct 28, 2013, 03:45PM

I wanted you to know that I read your message and that you are not alone. Find someone that you can talk to – don’t give up. You don’t say where you are, but can you get in touch with the Trauma Center where you were taken after the accident? Finding a support group can put you in touch with others who will totally understand you. You are not alone!

by Deleted User on Oct 29, 2013, 02:13PM

Anonymous232,

I am so very sorry to hear about the pain that you have experienced and continue to experience every day. There are no words that can take away that amount of pain or the memories of what you’ve been through, but I hope that knowing you are not alone in this will bring some comfort. The fact that you are able to share your story is a huge start in allowing you to start healing, and everyone who visits this website can tell you that they want you to start that healing process and they want to be there for you while you do it. I think the one thing that most people who have been through a trauma can agree on is that you can only get so far on your own. Support groups, therapists, and peers are here to walk alongside of you as you begin to figure out how to continue living this life. I’m located in Northern VA, but there are other hospitals with a trauma survivors network program located throughout the country. If there aren’t any close to you, any of the TSN Coordinators can help you find resources and connect you with others who have been through similar nightmares. You can message us privately, too, if you’d prefer.

If nothing else, please just know that you are cared about, and that you can get through this. It will take time and hard work, but you have a network of people behind you to encourage you through it.

Take care, and reach out any time.

Melissa

by aim4dbay on Oct 29, 2013, 05:38PM

Hi. I know exactly how you feel. I’ve been there. In 1993 I was the only survivor of a one car accident. My best friend and her boyfriend died. I’ve worked really hard to figure out who I am and to move on. I am really happy now and figured out how to move on. It’s not easy but it can be done. Feel free to private message me if you want. I’m more than happy to help. Hang in there. It does get better if you want it to.

Take care,
Amy

by tears on Nov 23, 2013, 08:13AM

i just joined this network but from the bit that i have seen i can say that u will get through it, in time it will get better and talking to people that understand will surely help. u are not alone

by Picasso05 on Jan 09, 2014, 02:33AM

Hi there. No one will ever really know how you feel because you are the only one living your life. That being said. I had a rare reaction (that’s putting it lightly) to a medication that almost cost me my life; most people who had this same reaction did not live to tell their story. I can’t imagine the guilt, pain, and suffering that you feel on a daily basis but I know that the only one who can lift you up is you. People will always try to say the “right” thing but the healing comes from within you.

by martinscorpio on Aug 29, 2014, 07:31PM

hi i am new to this i was the only one injured in my accident so no i cant imagine what u feel just to let you know i have problems described as just feeling like shit no energy the more you move the more you hurt very depressed so i joined this site to try to do something hope we find friends to talk to