Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Shot by my Dad almost 9 months prego

Shot by my Dad almost 9 months prego
by desireeiai on Apr 07, 2014, 06:00PM

Hi, My name is Desiree and I am 31 years old and had my son on April 27, 2013, the day after I accidentally got shot by my dad. It was April 26 2013 almost 9:00 PM and my dad, mom, sister, brother in-law and 2 nieces were all in my parents living room talking and doing what familys do on a Friday night, however this night was a little different. My brother in-law had just bought a new hand gun for his new job ( an armed guard) he did not know how to clean the gun or break the gun down, so my dad was showing him how. They did the breaking down about 5 times each (10 times) after my brother in-law last time breaking the gun down he put the loaded clip in the gun (15 rounds). I only remember this becuse from accross the room I could hear and see my sister telling her husband did you put the loaded clip in and before her or I could say stop to my dad he picked up the gun to show my brother in-law one more time how to break the gun down and he pulled the trigger ( To break the gun down you have to pull the trigger) I remember seeing smoke and fire themn seeing my dads face in terror he said did I shoot you, Oh my god did I shoot you, and hearing my mom screaming you shot our daughter you shot our F**king daughter. My body was so hot no one could see where I was shot I was thinking it was my chest due to my chest was SO HOT! I remember hearing my self say it’s so hot over and over, everyone was saying where did you get shot I could hear my sister say god I can"t remeber how to dial 911. Then my sister and brother in-law were checking me out like the 911 rep said to do. He checked my back the bullit did not exit my body. He was pushing on my right arm very hard. At this point we couldn’t really see the gun shot he was just applying pressure like the 911 rep stated to do. (GOD THIS PRESSER HURT SO BAD) The 911 rep had my sister tell my mom to go away from me due to she was in hysterical. (I have never seen my mom like this she is normally so strong) It seemed like it was seconds tell the police got there. But when they did get there you knew they did. They came in with all there guns out. At this time my dad and mom were out side and I was being wheeled out I see my mom and dad holding eachother crying. I am so worried about my baby, I am asking the medics if my baby was okay can you get hes heart beat, they reply we have to worry about mom (ME) first this was so hard for my to hear. They finlly got me to the hospital no IV because the ride over was so bumpy. Then all the questions came about why would your dad do this and was he mad at you why would your dad do this? I kept saying it was an accident. Then my boyfriend got there no family just him I kept asking for my mom and dad and the cops stated they were answering questions. When the cops at the hospital saw my boyfriend was black the questions stated of would your kill you because your boyfriend is black did he not want you to have a black and white baby. All of these questions as I am in the ER waiting for a room. Little did I know they had my dads hands in bags for the gun shot powder and everyone in the house in interrogation for over 5 hours. My family finely gets to me at 3 am. My dad and my brother in-law were released but with charges. The bullit hit my humerus broke it in 3 places went through my shoulder blade and rested on my spine. The next day 04/27/2014 all the pain meds where making my sons heart rate drop so we had a c-section and had a health baby boy 6.11 pound and red hair :) I had 2 surgarys over the next week and was released on May 7 2013. This years was very trying for my family we still are fighting court and all that but we are alive and healing. I need more surgary but I am doing good. At this time I am looking for a lawyer because I did not want charges filed and it seems my victims advocate is lying to me.

Reply: Shot by my Dad almost 9 months prego
by ewysocki on Apr 07, 2014, 11:09PM

It sounds like you have been through so much. I I hope the lawyer you find is helpful and you and your family find peace.

My best,
Liz

by desireeiai on Apr 07, 2014, 11:13PM

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am still working on finding a lawyer to even see if I can do anything about all the lies and missing items from my case. Do you have a story on here?

by ewysocki on Apr 07, 2014, 11:20PM

No- I am a coordinator for the TSN. I work to provide resources for trauma survivors, like yourself.

Liz

by desireeiai on Apr 08, 2014, 05:03PM

That is very nice. Thank you.