Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

bicycle/auto accident PTG (post traumatic growth)

bicycle/auto accident PTG (post traumatic growth)
by Hannahbreen on Sep 13, 2014, 07:46PM

My name is Hannah, I am 19 and I survived a traumatic accident 2 months ago. I was crossing the street on my bicycle at an unmarked crosswalk where I was struck by an SUV. I rolled up and caved in the windshield then rolled off and fell on the hot pavement. I broke my pelvis, tailbone and fractured my right femur. I sustained a concussion and 2nd and 3rd degree burns all down my left side. I was rushed to the hospital where I spent 5 days in trauma bay. I was then released and readmitted for another 6 days to get skin graft surgery on all of my burn sights. I had to use a wheelchair and walker for a little while and I needed help doing pretty much everything. I’ve been in school for nutrition for almost a year now so with that knowledge I have been healing myself through good nutrition. I meditate on a regular basis and this has also helped me keep a clear mind about this whole situation. Most importantly for me though, keeping a positive attitude has made the biggest impact on my recovery without it I don’t think I would’ve healed as fast as I did. Instead of PTSD, I believe this accident has caused PTG, post traumatic growth. I feel like an entirely new person and this happening to me was just a new beginning. I am more in love with life then I have ever been. It’s only been 2 months since this happened and I am walking, running and riding my bike as crazy as that sounds it was a big step for me to get back on the bike . I would like to extend a helping hand to anyone that needs help or words of encouragement. I am living proof that trauma doesn’t have to be traumatic.

Reply: bicycle/auto accident PTG (post traumatic growth)
by ultra122 on Oct 08, 2014, 09:03PM

That’s great that you’re doing so well! I had a social worker relative tell me that she thought I had PTG. That didn’t mean that I didn’t also have PTSD. I still have rough spots and flashbacks 2 yrs after my accident. I don’t let it change everything that I’ve learned about myself and others through the trauma though. I think people who haven’t been through major trauma get weirded out when we refer to ourselves as blessed or lucky. But you’re right on with how I feel. I had a life reset sort of thing when my accident happened. Things that used to stress me out don’t so much and small things really mean a lot.

I hope you have continued healing and growth. And good luck with your studies in nutrition!

by KatyHollis on Oct 09, 2014, 11:18AM

Hi Hannah,
Your story is inspiring. Keep up the good & hard work!
Katy

by sporty on Oct 30, 2014, 03:07AM

As others have noted, you are an inspiration. Thank you for your story. Sporty