Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Motorcycle vs. Semi

Motorcycle vs. Semi
by sporty on Sep 21, 2014, 03:06AM

Hello everyone. I have been searching the internet in hopes of validation and encouragement from other survivors of severe injuries following a motorcycle accident. After riding for 33 years without an accident, on 5-29-14, I was traveling 55 mph when a semi turned left in front of me, reporting he did not see me. To make a long story short, I hit the rear axile, flew 60 feet over the truck and was life flighted to a wonderful hospital (Mayo) and staff who saved my life. I had 5 surgeries (multiple breaks in my ankle and spiral fracture on my heal, open pelvis break, and multiple breaks in my wrist and broken hand- all on the right side). I spent 7 weeks in hospitals and continue with doctor appointments, PT, and OT. Like so many of you, I am appraching this with a positive attitude and convinced I am a better person through it all. I just was cleared to begin minimal weight bearing on my right foot, and just had the cast removed following a recent surgery on my wrist and hand (removing hardwear).

I am convinced I will walk again even though my orthopedic surgeon is not willing to say the same. I am fortunate to move with a walker deviced with a podium to rest my arm and push it and hop/step forward. I find increased appreciation for the smallest of things, take little for granted, and love richly. The one question, I have for you “veterans” is “Do you have any hints on managing pain?” I am on both pain and nerve meds around the clock, have tried the Tens Unit, and practice guided imagery, along with prayer and meditation. Unfortunately most nights for about 6 hours nothing seems to help. I am open to any ideas which any of you have found helpful.

Finally, I want to provide every possible means of encouragement to all of you survivors and familes. I know I could not have come this far without the family support I have been blessed with, especially my wife.

With great appreciation, Sporty

Reply: Motorcycle vs. Semi
by ultra122 on Oct 08, 2014, 08:56PM

Hi, Sporty! It sounds like you have a great attitude towards your healing. I feel like my priorities were rearranged when I had my accident and that I enjoy the little things so much more now.

I’m not a motorcycle accident veteran, but I was in a bad crash. My car hit a guardrail and it impaled my car and shattered my lower leg with an open fracture of both my tibia and fibula at the tibia plateau, I broke my pelvis in three spots, broke 5 ribs, dislocated my left elbow and broke both my ulna and radius with my ulna being pretty bad. I also lacerated my spleen and had the outer part of my left thigh torn off to the bone. I list these all to let you know that I know pain. I found that the nerve med really helped, but I was still in constant aching pain. I talk to people all the time how night time was the worst. Trauma surgeons told me it was because there were less distractions. All I knew is that I’d rather be able to sleep. I used to sing praise music for hours at a time and the pain would return when I would stop but would be eased while I was singing. I’m not sure if there is music that you prefer and can sing along to? I also tried changing positions as much as I could, which wasn’t much. The most I could do was stand and pivot with a walker to a toilet chair on my own. I think I would do that 9 times/night. It was distraction. These aren’t great hints on managing pain, but they are what helped me. I also gave myself in to those times of pain and would have a favorite show to binge watch on netflix ready. I would save things for those hours I knew were coming. Also talk to your doctor about the pain. My surgeon explained that some of my pain was due to the muscle loss from lying around for months. Without the muscle my nerves were compressed and would cause the ache and weakness. Maybe you can hear something encouraging like that? It was encouraging to know that the pain would eventually improve. My pain now (2 yrs post accident,) I try to ease with heating pads, rest, and tylenol.

Good luck with the pain! I hope that you can find some pain control. Maybe some others can weigh in on how they managed? It was a real issue for me and still hits hard some days.

by KatyHollis on Oct 09, 2014, 11:16AM

Hi Sporty, I wanted to echo what “ultra122” said and that you need to give your body time to continue healing. Have you considered any other “non-traditional” methods? Acupuncture, yoga?

by working dog girl on Oct 10, 2014, 02:58AM

Good evening Sporty. Sorry about your accident and the pain you are having. I am A RN who survived a fatal car accident that took the life of the other driver and am a family friend of a motorcycle accident victim who did not survive his accident. So I am glad you are still with us. I don’t know what nerve medication you are on but if it is Neurontin or gabapentin is the generic its max daily dose is 3600mg so you may not be taking enough. also don’t know what pain medication you are on but an opioid might be helpful. Pain that is not controlled impedes the healing process. Massage is a wonderful pain reliever due to the fact that our muscles tense up with the stress of uncontrolled pain. I would look into a massage therapist who does lymphatic massage.

by sporty on Oct 30, 2014, 02:12AM

Thank you so much for your positive and encouraging words. I especially appreciate the real ideas to responding to pain which you have tried. I must admit I have not checked this website for several weeks and hope you don’t think I ignored your comments. Wow! You have certainly dealth with so many injuries I aplaud your perseverence! I am doing much better today. My doctor has dramatically increased my nerve meds. which have helped. In addition, I have tapered myself off most of the narcotics which I believe has also helped. But what has probably helped as much as anything is the ability to go to a pool and move. I have always been active, competing in power lifting, runnning, bodybuilding, ect. So just the ability to move again is wonderful. Today I was able to do 1/2 mile swimming what I believe is the slowest back stroke known to “man-kind”. Again, thank you so much for your encouraging words and I will be checking the website regularly.

by sporty on Oct 30, 2014, 02:14AM

Kati, thanks for your response. I haven’t tried alternative methods yet but have considered acupuncture. I have had some response to nerve meds which have been increased.

by sporty on Oct 30, 2014, 02:47AM

Thanks for your reply working dog girl. I have been fortunate to experience what others have said about things gradually improving if we give it some time. The past month have experienced a gift of movement. I have started going to a pool at our local Y and find I am able to do so much that my body is not yet able to do on the ground. Today I was even able to slowly backstroke 1/2 mile. Our Y has a chair lift which has allowed me to enter and exit the pool. It has been humbling to look at other’s expression when they see this “handicapped” man. At first it bothered me however I now find it wonderful to find that helpful person which opens doors, and says kind words. Enough rambling. Again thank you for your support. Sporty