Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Pedestrian vs Ford Escape

Pedestrian vs Ford Escape
by littlebit56 on Oct 10, 2014, 11:45PM

On May 6, 2014 I was walking across a fairly busy intersection and a car turning left hit me. I was in the crosswalk, had the right of way, and was halfway through the intersection when I wrapped around the front of Ford Escape; I never saw him coming. He did not swerve or brake until he hit me. As I lay in the road he tried to pick me up and told me to “Get up. Walk, you ok,”’ in broken English. It was determined I had sustained a TBI, a broken scapula, a broken clavicle, my pelvis broken in three places, and my left calf permanently indented from the bumper. I spent 70 days in a hospital bed in my parents dining room, praying that my pelvis would heal and I wouldn’t need surgery. Although it seemed to heal and I can walk again, one of the breaks is not fully healed and I may need surgery to place plates and screws with a high likelihood of multiple serious complications from the surgery. Everytime I think I can move on, something else happens that reminds me of what happened. I have panic attacks if I try and cross any busy street and when I see someone walking across the street and a car creeps toward them impatiently I can’t help but become anxious. I no longer like going outside or being around people. just hearing the sound of cars driving can put me on edge. The worst part is that the guy never received a ticket and when I went to the police station to ask why I was told that it was my fault, I put my own life in jeopardy by deciding to walk to the bus stop, the guy was never going to get a ticket, I was ridiculous for wanting him to get one, and he never took my statement because I was screaming too much. Apparently five broken bones and going into shock meant nothing to this officer.

I am seeing a counselor and on medication to help with the anxiety. It is hard for me to tell people in my life about me receiving counseling or being on medication because of the social stigma attached to them. I am hoping to talk with people who understand the stigma of PTSD and everything associated with it.

Reply: Pedestrian vs Ford Escape
by KatyHollis on Oct 11, 2014, 05:46PM

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your story. Your story of survival is amazing and everything that you are feeling is normal. My accident was seven years ago and you have to remember the recovery process (both emotional and physical) is long & hard.

I had three surgeries while I was still in the hospital and had four more as outpatient. The four later surgeries seemed hardest for me because it felt like a major setback at the time. Even though in reality was a integral part of my recovery. I’m sure the possibility of having another surgery for plates and pins is scary and frustrating.

Things will get better. You have to know and believe that. I’m glad that you are seeing someone to help with your PTSD and anxiety. The recovery process is long and you need to be patient with yourself and the process. You can come out this and be a better and stronger person.

Focus on little goals. You say that it is hard to be outside and hearing the sounds of cars can put you on edge. It may sound silly, but maybe watching videos of cars (or traffic) might desensitize you to the sights and sounds. We were in a fireworks accident and a therapist worked with my oldest son to desensitize him to the sights and sounds of fireworks.

You are doing all the right things and remember that every day is one more day that you are a survivor. And more importantly remember that you are most definitely not alone.
Katy