Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

How to deal with the depression

How to deal with the depression
by KellyPerez80 on Aug 01, 2016, 03:12AM

I was in a bad car accident 3 moths ago. I hit another vehicle pretty much head on. I was alert the whole time during the crash so I remember everything . I broke my pelvis is 4 places, busted up my hip socket with hip dislocation, broke both my wrist, broke my heel, fractured ribs and vertebrae in my back along with bruises covering my body and a few gashes that required stitches . I had a 10 hr surgery to repair my pelvis and my hip and another surgery to put a plate in my left wrist. I wasn’t able to get out of the bed for over 2 months and even tho now I can only stand on one leg because I’m still waiting on my hip to heal enough for the Dr to release the no weight bearing from my right leg, I’m in a world of pain And I still can’t walk. I have my wheelchair but I am limited to how long I can sit before I’m in unbearable pain. Before the wreck I was a hard working welder. I was always a strong woman! Physically and mentally or at least I thought I was. Since the wreck I worry that I will never be that strong woman again. I’m so depressed and the pain really gets to me (Dr cut me off pain meds 6 weeks out) and being in a wheelchair all gets to me. I can’t even fake a smile. I only had in laws that were willing to take care of me but they all left me for my 17 yr old daughter to take care of by herself. My husband came back after a week but I always feel so helpless even tho I can do a lot for myself when the pain allows. I suffer from PTSD along aide of the depression . I just want to be myself again . Everyone tells me be strong , give it time blah blah blah . I know all this! But it doesn’t make me feel better ! Nothing makes me feel better anymore! I have always been the kind who loves to make people laugh And cut up but I feel like that part of me died in that wreck.

Reply: How to deal with the depression
by Titanium on Oct 14, 2016, 10:07PM

I am sorry you had to go through that. I was in a train accident when i was 16 (2 years ago) which left me with 2 broken femurs (major surgery to set my bones) and PTSD. I was in a wheelchair for about 2 1/2 months but was ‘lucky’ enough to make a full recovery. It has been 2 years and 2 more surgeries and mentally i am a complete wreck. I dont know what i can do or say to help you as i feel the same as you, but maybe the fact that you are not alone in this might offer a little reassurance. I swear if one more person tells me ‘its better to take it slow and take your time’ i will actually have a fit! I am constantly torn between who i am now and who i was then. I struggle particularly with my body image and think i may have depression. There are days when i just stay in bed and i am alienating myself from other people. I am so sorry and i dont want to make this about me, but please dont give up yet! I know its hard and i know how you feel. You are not the only one, we are in this together and if you ever need to just talk i will always try to help. I feel like these things are better when you are together…

by OdeletteDespins on Apr 12, 2018, 04:39AM

Depression is a state of being where a person tends to feel empty, anxious and lost. There are various Mental Health Problems or can say Mental illness like Depression, Stress, Anxiety, Major Depression, Bipolar, Depression, Unipolar Depression, Major Depression, Betrayal, Fear of Loving again, Tears. These Problems are very major Problems and to be looked very carefully. Precautions should be taken for this. One can consult a Professional like http://www.martine-voyance.com/deontologie that can Help you naturally or can look for various Options available Online.

by Sandra brady on May 09, 2018, 02:22AM

I had a similar wre k my son was driving I don’t tember anthing spent a month in a coma when they airlifted me to hospital the docs said no way I needed to meet Jesus they were raled I to trying broke my back so back I have a big plate broke 7 ribs on the left and 3 on the right broke .y hjps shattered the ball broke both theighs twice had to have a complete rebuild on rt knee compound broke rt calf the ankle and had to have a plate in my foot my left arm and we’re crused crushed I to had to had to wait for weight bearing to be lifted it was seven months before I got my leg ok’d fourteen before my left I have arod in my left theighs a bracket hinged by knee and hip I’m rt I can’t turn arm out can’t plan down my thumb and pinky work ok not the others o had pain need for three years they took me off ND put me on cymbolta for depression and long term pain it was a live saver for me I don’t have near the and I have back my happiness my will to try to if your not on a depression pill talk to the doctor about it I didn’t think a pill could help so much I feel slot like my old self and my will to harder is back not as tired either and I don’t feel like giving up anymoeeb it git the last three to fit months I spent in bed got up to potty sometimes I didn’t I wear a brief but how does someone get do bad they lay in bed 24/7 and peein their own bed I was angry all the time felt like I had no life left wished I’d die in my sleep and never wake up I finally told my doc how bad it was he today he help he took me off the pain need and gae me the cymbolta I wish they would have put me on it along time ago sorry if this us hard to read my sight is poor and hard to hold phone in my left hand I wish well don’t give up tell dick how you rely feel so he can help you

by KellyPerez80 on Jul 29, 2020, 03:52AM

I have t been on this website for awhile and I am thankful for the comments I received. It’s been 4 years since my wreck and I wasn’t myself for a long time. Not until I had my hip replacement and helped with the hip pain but my life has changed dramatically even tho I have recovered well. I’m thankful for that but I do sometimes have problems when I feel like a burden because I can’t be as physically active as I was. My ankle has so much arthritis it’s almost fused itself and can barely move it. I can’t stand for hours without my leg swelling so bad and pain in my foot is so bad. I had damaged my SI nerve so the pain is almost more than I can take most of the time but I press on. I really miss welding I miss making good money cause lord knows disability doesn’t even pay the bills so I work part time for 7.25 an hr because I can sit down as much as I need too. But sometimes just going out with my fiancé and friends and I’m limping and pushing myself to keep up if there’s much walking , takes it’s toll on me mentally and physically. I feel like I should be more thankf and not complain because it could have been so much worse but it does bother me. Now I’ve worked for a year and even sitting down hrs at a time will cause my hips back and tailbone hurt bad where I have plates and screws . My leg if I stand or walk too much cramps up I’m unbeliopaim when I try to rest. And sometimes I feel guilty and greedy for missing my old self. Tonight a car was on my side of the road and I barely missed them. I almost hit them head on and I cried all the way home . I almost had it happen again and I keep replaying it in my head.

by emily87 on Jul 30, 2020, 03:08PM

Odelette Despins that’s a great Professional to consult with

by katherinejoseph on Aug 05, 2020, 03:23PM

I’m so happy to see all of you continuing to connect with one another and provide support. This is exactly what the TSN is for. Please let me know if I can further support any of you in any way. I’d be happy to connect you with your local TSN coordinator or even chat about national support such as virtual support groups and one on one peer support. You can reach me at kjoseph@amtrauma.org or 703-399-6001. Wishing you all the best! Katherine