Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Motorcycle Accident PTSD-former athlete perspective

Motorcycle Accident PTSD-former athlete perspective
by trav315 on Jan 31, 2017, 10:58PM

don’t know why, but this is the first time I’ve opened up(thankful for anonymity here)…don’t even know why. With all the incredible minds, and not just from accomplished Dr’s etc…just people who have lived it——I really hope to find direction. In 2005, I had opened a small fitness center..being an exercise physiologist, previously multi-style black belt, heavy-weight national bodybuilding sponsored athlete…..bla bla…. july 2005…—fast forward to sept 5th 2005, the day before my birthday…I close the club and as always with full gear, mount my 2003 954RR….great back road twisties and I hit sand..front end goes out, centrifugal force on my ass pushing down on the bike..science does the rest…. major subluxation of c-5 and c-6. “my spine made an S curve, so please don’t move sir-you have about 2mm’s til you lose your gamble with luck…and right now your winning”. about 2 human hairs he said…..im a normally very gregarious and outgoing guy…so, this scared me. 3 cracked ribs, badly bruised lung and a few weeks in traction on my back… after that accident and since then, I have found that I’ve only sporadically even wanted to workout, sold the bike of course?;). And put on some weight…. its like my damn zest and spunk just left.. gone. it’s ok sometimes, but mostly I have to do some mustering to work with my clients…… I’m a reasonably educated man, I’m also a guy who grew up with a single parent mom working 2-3 jobs simultaneously…so, I became street smart and that doesn’t leave… I know I have PTSD….i really need to know how to get out of it….like in the moment when I feel the need to “eat” to feel good…or "drink some bourbon "… I’m hoping that talking with others after the fact helps……its almost like everyone expected that once I was clear to work and out of my torso-neck brace..id be back to me, but I’m 46 now and I don’t think I been back to me at all.. advice please?

Reply: Motorcycle Accident PTSD-former athlete perspective
by owengiannini on Feb 15, 2017, 08:03PM

Just logged on for the first time in 1.5 years, only used this site right after my accident. I also had a motorcycle accident, I was 18 at the time and am 20 now. Long story short, I have a below knee amputation and had a broken neck – so I can see where you are coming from. I was and still am an athlete, love going to the gym and putting on muscle / setting prs. I came to accept that I would never be the same person, mentally or psychically; that acceptance has helped me tremendously move on from my injury. That doesn’t mean I forgot about it though. After my accident I couldn’t ride in cars without gripping the seat and holding my breath, even if the driver was going under the speed limit. Since my accident was at night, driving at night was very stressful. I learned to conquer my PTSD by forcing myself to drive faster ( maximum 10 over the speed limit ). For some it takes a decade to recover. All I can say is that you have to fully accept that you will never be the same, doesn’t mean you are worse – just different.

by trav315 on Feb 16, 2017, 09:36PM

I really appreciate the reply brother. Its so hard to explain….its like I didn’t even realize how much it did affect me…im 46 now and have another bike now…BUT—I just can’t seem to get myself remotivated to get back into regular workouts..

by Swift sky on Feb 17, 2017, 09:25AM

Hi, I’m struggling with loss of identity compared to pre-trauma and post trauma. It feels like I’m shut away somewhere or I’m acting out a version of myself. I’ve had repeated mental and physical traumas and medical staff don’t even know what to do half the time. I think the thing is trauma is transformative and you aren’t the same person any more, you become someone new. I’ve been reading about friendships post trauma… So many people unable to deal with or entertain the idea of such extreme pain/trauma. Of course your not your old self you went through a near death experience and had to use all of the resource and determination to pull through that. Agony and pain are with you most days/every day? and exercise is a challenge and a reminder that your body has changed. I feel so weird when I exercise now and I used to LOVE training and the social side of sport now I feel quite withdrawn. Reading a book called Living Well With Pain & Illness by Vidyamala Burch is helping accept this new life. Take it very slowly, I have just been walking and doing floor exercise and do go through periods of public exercise work out but then need to recover my head as much as anything. It’s like the body, mind balance becomes more attuned with trauma (for me anyway) and I have to spend periods working intently with both. I definitely spend more time alone (an a lot of the time enjoy it). I find one friend is enough mostly and big groups more tiring than before.

by Swift sky on Feb 17, 2017, 09:26AM

I was always in the gym, dancing, a risk taker, liked extreme sport, martial art, gym training, diving, swimming.

by sporty on Feb 26, 2017, 02:49PM

Welcome Trav315. Like owengiannini’s post I too am just checking back in after 2.5 years ago when I participated in the Next Steps Class and found it quite helpful. Reading your “story” bought back so many memories. Like you I was involved in a motorcycle crash at highway speeds when a semi turned left in front of me. Multiple surgeries and 2 1/2 years later I continue to work on keeping a positive attitude with my new normal. Like you, I was also extremely active. Black Belt, regional and state powerlifting records, multiple road races, and basically any physical activity which interested me. I can no longer lift or even run two steps. However, I am able to swim slowly and look forward to being able to walk in a few months. I spend as much time working on being positive and redefining myself as I do with self directed PT. If you would like to just talk feel free to send me a pm. Stay strong. sporty

by Drewp on May 06, 2017, 02:05PM

Hey Trav315, I was a world class athlete and worked out religiously too. I was involved in a snowboarding accident about 2 yrs ago (see my posted story if u wish). I trained in MMA. I suffered a TBI and brachial plexus injury. I have balance problems and am weak on the right side. As soon as I could get down to my workout room, I started to workout again. Sure, it’s limited but I think it’s good for my recovery both physically and mentally. Like the slogan says, “Just do it!” Good luck buddy!

by Sisabel on Dec 09, 2021, 01:11PM

I’m so sorry you went through this, especially the accident’s consequences. First of all, an accident leaves some psychological traces before the physical ones.

by Sisabel on Dec 10, 2021, 12:48PM

I’m so sorry you went through this, especially the accident’s consequences. First of all, an accident leaves some psychological traces before the physical ones.

by Sisabel on Dec 13, 2021, 12:16PM

hmmm