Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Wolverine story

Wolverine story
by Vincehokia on Nov 19, 2017, 03:36PM

I am a certified English teacher who was working in Seoul, South Korea. I was able to help several of my students to get accepted in to schools in the U.S. and even one into a school in London. But my story is about my trip to Arizona with one of my students, who I helped to get into a high school in Arizona. He got accepted into a high school in Arizona and his parents asked me to go there with him. On June 17, 2011, I was driving him to his high school with my younger brother. The speed limit where we were was 45 mph, so I was going 35 mph. Then a U-Haul truck, going the opposite direction at 65 mph, came into my lane and hit us head-on and dragged us and hit 9 or 10 more cars. I learned later that the driver was apparently high on drugs and fell asleep while driving. The roof of my car, a Mazda 626, was crushed on me and my 2 passengers. The police had to use the “jaws-of-life” to peel the roof off our car to bring us to the hospital. My 2 passengers were in the hospital for only 3 days with minor injuries, but I was in for 3 months, I was also in the intensive care unit for 1.5 months and an induced comma for 2 weeks. The doctors implanted titanium into all my broken bones, which included my cranium, left cheek, jaw, left shoulder, ribs and my pelvis, which the doctors told me later, “had so many fractures, it was practically shattered!” After I was released, I had to do physical therapy and due to my “shattered pelvis.” the doctors were estimating my therapy to be at least 1 year. And there was another man with less fractures than me, who had been going there 15 years and still did not walk well. They were amazed that they could release me after just about 5 weeks. Some people were so amazed with the speed of my recovery, the y compared me to Wolverine, form the X-men movies, because of all the titanium implanted into my bones and my fast recovery. They credited my fitness level and “athletic mentality.” And when they found out that I used to be a certified personal trainer for NY Sports Club, they said that I “…must’ve been a tremendous trainer!”

Reply: Wolverine story
by TeamDogx3 on Nov 25, 2017, 03:51AM

Wow! What an incredible story. Please share what type of exercises you did to regain strength. I too shattered my pelvis. It has been 8 months since my accident.

by Vincehokia on Nov 26, 2017, 02:10PM

The doctors credited my fitness level when the accident happened for the speed of my recovery, not what I did after. What they DID give credit to for my fast recovery after was what they called my “athlete’s mentality,” where it could be hard or painful, but I was determined to get better quickly. What I DID do after my release from the hospital after the accident was I took a lot of LONG walks (practically daily). And by LONG walks, I mean, I walked for HOURS! MAYBE around 3 or 4 hour walks! I also did a lot of exercises with the elastic bands, not weights. My own father, who saw me do these exercises, even called me “crazy!” for doing them! However, to get to the fitness level I was in when the accident DID happen, I did the following: 1. I ran 6 days a week. My shortest run was 1 hour and at least once a week, but ideally, three times a week, I did half marathon runs or 3 hour runs. 2. I was working out in the gym for at least 1 hour, but ideally 2 or 3 hours, daily. 3. When I did workout in the gym, I did a lot of weight training, but I did about 8 sets of 20 repetitions of every exercise and between sets, I made sure to rest for only 30 seconds to make everything a cardiovascular workout. 4. I also did a lot of biking. I was biking 18 miles a day, 3 to 5 times a week. 5. As a hobby, I also DID dragon boating, 2 to 4 hours of paddling a boat, 3 times a week with a team! That was a team I started and was a trainer for in NY City for 8 years and we won around 15 medals and 7 trophies, racing up to 4 times a year in different cities in the U.S. and Canada. We STILL hold the speed record for a winner of a 500 meter race! 6. An IMPORTANT note to this program I followed is that I did get to do them for so long consistently because I did work as a CERTIFIED Personal Trainer for NY Sports Club, where I was able to help a 520 lbs woman lose 160 lbs in just 3 months!

by TeamDogx3 on Nov 27, 2017, 05:05PM

What an amazing story! What type of pelvis break did you have? I have been told that cycling is difficult (painful) with an open book pelvic fracture. Thanks for sharing!

by Vincehokia on Nov 29, 2017, 06:35AM

I don’t remember what they called the type of pelvis break I had. I don’t even remember if they did tell me. Sorry. I do cycling and can do it again. I just can’t run like I used to. It feels odd and I probably look strange when I do try to run. So now, instead of running, I take LONG WALKS, albeit, I do try to walk fast.

by Vincehokia on Nov 03, 2018, 06:54AM

I did A LOT of walking. After about just 3 weeks of therapy, I was already taking 3 or 4 hour walks, nearly daily. But before the accident, I was running about 6 days a week and my shortest run was about 1 hour, but at least once, but ideally 3 times week, I was doing half marathons. I was a certified personal trainer in New York and I was training myself for the Iron Man triathlon. I was also biking at least 20 miles daily. I’m sorry I answered late. I have memory problems still and I forgot that I am a member of this.