Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Car accident survivor

Car accident survivor
by Dntocio on Feb 09, 2018, 08:29AM

On August 9, 2017, my life was changed forever! I got into the car with a friend, who I find out later was under the influence, we’re heading to his doctor appointment on the highway. He begins speeding and just driving crazy. In his mind he thinks the car to the left of us had served into our lane when in fact it was him that swerved into their lane almost causing An accident. He starts flipping out, driving faster, swerving, yelling at the people in the car to the left. Them he goes to grab a cup and throws it out his window into the other car. When he does this he ends up losing control of the car. All the while, I’m screaming at him to stop and slow down and he’s not listening! So he loses control of the car and we go from the third lane over on the highway all the way to the right side, the breakdown lane, without hitting any other cars. We go off towards the woods and the last thing I see is us going straight towards a tree! No I wasn’t wearing my seatbelt this day smh I end up waking up in the back seat holding onto the back of the passenger seat, where I originally was, for dear life, not realizing at that point that we were on our side. I guess wet went off the road and flipped about 4 times and landed in the woods off the highway. I try to move and find out I can’t feel or move my legs and I can’t rally breathe so I just start screaming for help. Not even a minute later I hear voices saying there is someone inside! A man, who witnessed the whole accident had pulled over and came to check if we were ok. He starts talking to me keeping me awake then the firefighter showed up and crawled in behind me and held my neck until he got me the brace. They end up having to use the jaws of life to get me out. For some reason, even after feeling that I can’t move my legs and I’m having trouble breathing, I’m so incredibly calm! Normally I have bad anxiety. Once they finally can get me out and they put me onto that backboard, that’s when the pain hit! It was unbearable! From that point on I was in and out. I took an ambiance to one hospital, they didn’t have a trauma unit to help me so then I took another ambiance into Boston an hour away. I guess they put me into a coma and when I woke up 5 days and 3 surgeries later, I remember being able to move my toes. They day my spine, from about the top of my shoulders all the way down to my bottom, was completely crushed. When I got to the hospital I was paralyzed from the waist down so this was a happy feeling to be able to feel and move my legs! They took out 3 ribs to fuse my lower spine but the rest of my spine, from top to bottom, is now titanium rods and screws and plates and cages. My right lung ruptured and during surgery bled so bad I ended up needing a blood transfusion. My right shoulder blade was broken in 3 places and is still. I also had a huge bump on my forehead along with many, many bumps and bruises. The day after I woke up from everything they got me up and with a huge back brace and a walker I took 5 steps! Other than that I didn’t do much for the next month that I was in the hospital. I could only lay on my back and was so uncomfortable and in so much pain constantly. I’m 36 years old and needing to use a bed pan and have people bathe me. So I stayed in the hospital for a month and then I went to a rehab for only a week, to get my legs stronger and learn how to walk again. Of course with my back brace and the walker. I’ve been gimme 6 months now and everyday is the same. The pain is awful but I had them take me off of the hard pain killers so what I take now never gets rid of the pain completely it only makes it bearable. As of today I no longer need the walker to walk but I still need all the railings in the shower and the shower chair because I can’t stand long. I’ve lost my hair now because of all the surgery and the hardware they put in, that will be there forever now. I didn’t know you could lose your hair because of all that, just one more thing to make me feel horrible and upset. I haven’t been able to pick up my 3 year old in 6 months and it kills me! I need help with everything and my life will never be the same. I haven’t been cleared to drive and ill never be able to be a CNA again like i was before the accident. I constantly relive everything i can remember about the accident and it makes me so angry and upset and hurt, so many things and i don’t know how to deal with it. I can’t come to terms with the fact that this is how my life is gong to be from now on. It’s a miracle I’m alive and that I’m not paralyzed anymore but I’m still so mad this happened at all! I’ve cut out allot of people from my life because of this and I’ve hardly left the house in 6 months because I feel like everyone is staring and judging and like they know what happened to me. I know that’s not the case but that’s how I feel so I just don’t go out. Not to mention how scared I am to be in a car now. I’m just having a ton of trouble trying to process everything. The driver is facing 5 years jail time, he was found completely at fault, obviously. He’s fine now he suffered a huge gash in his head but walked away and I end up with a crushed spine with 65 staples in my back and other horrible scars from surgeries and he’s fine and living life normal again. It infuriates me! And the fact that he thinks he did nothing wrong and even thought he would make money off this! Finding this site and reading people’s stories has really helped. Most people just don’t understand what I’m going through and I feel naff complaining or telling people how I feel or what happened etc. I’m having a really hard time with everything and no I haven’t been to a therapist, I know I should I just don’t think that I’m ready. It would be great to hear from someone with similar injuries as I haven’t foind anyone that’s had something similar to my spine injuries and surgeries. I just feel like nobody understands mms anymore and I’d rather not burden people with my feelings or my pain that seems to never go away. I mean is this really my life now? Why? I hate this….. — Daneille

Reply: Car accident survivor
by Courtbrown96 on Feb 11, 2018, 01:48AM

Hi my name is Courtney. I too was in a terrible car accident. my car overheated and as i was trying to get back into my car i was hit at 60 Mph. I woke up 5 to 6 days later where I found out i was hit. I don’t remember my accident but I was in a ton of pain. A great witness that has became a friend had told me that before i was hit the lady that hit me was weaving in and out of the lanes on the highway. She kept going until she realized she hit someone. This happened November 11, 2016 and I’m still not recovered. I have gone through at least 9-10 surgeries so far and need at least two more. The lady that hit me couldn’t even look at me when i seen her in court. She was charged improper lane usage and that’s it. I broke my neck, back, fingers, right wrist, left shin, right hip where i was technically amputated and i tore everything in my right knee. I haven’t seen a therapist either besides my physical therapist. My scars bother me all the time and my situation bothers me. They said I was alert the whole time but i just don’t remember. I had to put my whole life on hold and I’m only 21 i was 20 when this happened. No one understands how im still alive and due to a choice I might not be able to have kids.

by JenniferNash on Feb 12, 2018, 11:29PM

Hi. I survived a car accident on Nov 12. I broke C2 in 2 places and my arm in 6. I have metal plates (3) in my arm and only got out of a neck brace this week. I understand completely the trauma and fear. The not knowing and the frustration. Hang in there

by Hanouna on Feb 15, 2018, 07:16PM

Hello Danielle. First I want you to know that you are not alone and that your story sounded way too familiar to me. I too had a car accident six years ago when I was 36 years ago but mine left me paralyzed from chest down. I can not discribe the amount of nerve pain I feel daily on top of complications that I experience often but somehow i try to find a way to stay positive, For you, I would imagine that would be your baby because I don’t have any. I’m sure despite all you are going, you are here with her while giving her all the love she needs, and that is the most important thing children need next to their food health. The one thing that I am grateful for is that I was giving a second chance to appreciate all things I took for granted before my accident. I do not have the same friends as I did before and I learned a lot about life and people in general. Don’t be hard on yourself because it really took me couple of years before I started to accept it all and go out and live my life. I did it after I realized that only part of my body I paralyzed and I couldn’t allow that to paralyze my brain. I am grateful that I am still able to make my own decisions and live independently especially that I am able to drive as we

by Hanouna on Feb 15, 2018, 07:30PM

Well. Please feel free to contact me whenever you need to. The way i deal with what i go thru is keep in my mind that no matter how bad things get, it can always be worse because i see it first hand when i go to the hospital and meet ohers whos situation is worse than mine and it make me so thankful despite my pain. I tuly believe that my positive attitude toward this has helped me so much, although there are times when i have a hard times where staying positive is very hard but i jst remind myself that i hav the chouce to either dwell in my negative thoughts or get myself out of them. Lots of times, i do so by listenng to motivational speechs online, and do whatever it takes to stay sane. I do pray a lot and vent to others wen i need to because it really helps me to get things off my chest sometimes, after all we are not super women. I pray and hope that you find the strength to pull thru this and feel the best way possible soon. Please reach out whenever you need to vent. God bless you!

by Dntocio on Feb 15, 2018, 08:28PM

Thank you so much that means allot! You can contact me anytime as well. Honestly I’ve found that reading peoples stories and chatting with them or finding places to go online where there’s someone who understands, it does help. Once I’m back driving again I’m deff gonna go to therapy and just let it all out lol

by Hanouna on Feb 17, 2018, 06:45AM

So proud of you Danielle and super happy to feel the positive energy thru reading your message. As much as I completely know that we all deal with trauma differently and respect each ones reaction, it makes much happier to see people finding light thru the dark times they are going thru. And I totally agree with your statement, I too feel much better when I talk to others, but what I am more grateful for, is the people that God keeps putting in my path to show me love and truly care wholeheartedly, and I consider that to be another blessing and regardless of my paralysis, I feel that a lot of positive came from the tragic accident and that is the great people I have met or spoke to, and I am happy I get to add you to that list. Stay positive girl and don’t allow this accident to control your days. YOU ARE IN CONTROL and I pray that God keeps giving you strength to get better and better each day. Have a beautiful weekend. Again so happy to read your positive message.

by Hanouna on Feb 18, 2018, 02:05AM

Hi girl, just saw your msg. Just because your not paralyzed doesn’t mean you are ok, because you are a trauma survivor and the word traum says it all. One of the most thing I’ve learned from being a volunteer at the hospital I was treated at, is meeting people that survived some horrific trauma, but looking from the outside or if I saw them walking I would’ve never guessed that there was anything wrong with them, and I try not to never forget that. I also know first hand how much pain can affect our lives in a negative way. I have been having some excruciating pain lately and it is hard but I dig so deep to find whatever it takes to push myself and get out of my bed. I feel like I have to be my own therapist to be able to persevere. As to what and people react to you and what you are going thru, remember it’s their opinion and you have no control over that. It can get frustrating but I became really good at ignoring ignorant comments some people make and most of the time i don’t really explain how and what I’m feeling because I know they can relate and i remind myself that when I was able to walk, I never understood what people like me now go thru but boy do I know now…lol! I do hope you have support from family because you need it. I am bald that your boy is there to bring sunshine to those dark days. I pray that your shoulder get better, but just remember you are not alone and whenever you feel overwhelmed, you can reach out. Just remember that when you will be able to pick up your boy and hold him is going to feel a million times better, so you have that as a major goal to work toward and I’m cheering you on all the way from Cleveland… lol! Stay positive

by Keybab on Jan 20, 2022, 11:32PM

I got into an accident and I urgently need a lawyer who will sort out my situation…

by Keybab on Jan 21, 2022, 09:15AM

Well, listen to my story

by Keybab on Jan 21, 2022, 09:15AM

I got to say, that…