Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

*Bicycle vs. Car*

*Bicycle vs. Car*
by cycled5 on Mar 30, 2018, 06:29PM

I do not remember the accident or 2 years after but this is what happened from the police report witnesses: Vehicle 1 was traveling westbound on Gibsonton Drive in the outside lane. Pedal cyclist 1 was also traveling westbound in the bicycle lane. Driver 1 was attempting to change lanes from the outside lane to the right turn lane to enter the on-ramp to northbound Interstate 75. The bicycle lane runs between the outside lane of westbound Gibsonton Drive and the right turn lane. Driver 1 stated he never saw Pedal cyclist 1. The front left bumper area struck the rear tire of the bicycle. This impact caused the rider to be thrown from the bicycle and landed on the windshield. She was then thrown over the roof of Vehicle 1 and landed on Gibsonton Drive with her head facing westbound and her feet facing eastbound in the area of the bicycle lane. Pedal cyclist 1 was transported to Tampa General Hospital as a trauma alert with possible life threatening injuries. Witness 1 stated he was already in the right turn lane. Vehicle 1 was in the outside lane of westbound Gibsonton Drive. The bicyclist was riding westbound in the bicycle lane. Driver 1 was trying to change lanes to get into the right turn lane. Vehicle 1 then struck the rear of the bicycle. The rider was thrown airborne over the top of the vehicle. Witness 2 stated she was traveling westbound in the right turn lane behind Witness 1. Vehicle 1 was in the outside lane. The bicyclist was in the bike lane. Driver 1 suddenly changed lanes from the outside lane to the right turn lane, striking the lady on the bicycle as he was doing so. Injuries: Severe head injury, Brain Bleed, broken right leg, road rash, multiple lacerations, broken right ankle, broken left 1st rib with torn rotator cuff, severe whiplash, sprain left ankle, broke back vertebrae, and now PTSD The guy that hit me got a traffic ticket for $149.00 and I got disabled and about $250,000 in medical bills

Reply: *Bicycle vs. Car*
by Courtbrown96 on Apr 06, 2018, 03:20PM

Hi, my name is Courtney Brown and I just read your story I’m sorry about your accident. I’m currently going through almost the same thing. If you need to talk you can private message me.