Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Not an ordinary bike ride.

Not an ordinary bike ride.
by Vlm509 on Sep 03, 2018, 12:32AM

On August 30 2017 I went for a bike ride alone after work on a popular trail. I had ridden it several times. It’s 3.3 miles mostly uphill. I got to the top and turned to come down. I only remember from here on in flashes. I remember going down and seeing my wheel in the grass (off the paved trail). I over corrected and lost my balance. I then began to fall to my right. I hit hard on my right wrist and right knee. I was halfway over the handlebars with the bike in between my legs. I got my bearings and turned to get up and saw something I will never forget. There was a hole in my upper, inner left thigh and blood was pouring out like a faucet. I remember thinking I have got myself in a bad situation and I have to get out of it or I’m going to die. I applied pressure with my hands immediately and called for help. Luckily I was right near a playground and a wonderful man came to my aid. He applied pressure with his bear hands and called 911. I was mentally able to separate myself from the situation by thinking about my daughter who was 5 at the time because I didn’t want to die and wanted to see her again. I had totally severed my femoral artery and had no idea at the time. The ambulance took 20 minutes to arrive since it was volunteer only. I managed to stay conscious the whole time and by the time the ambulance came the bleeding had stopped because the artery had spasmed shut and clotted. My blood pressure was only 60 over 35 when they loaded me in the ambulance and I was going into shock and was convinced at one point. I was going to die. They took me to the local hospital because I was too critical to make it to one of the trauma centers in Baltimore. My bp was up when we arrived and all I wanted to do was to leave. I thought I was fine but all along deep down I knew something wasn’t right and the ER doctor wanted me to see a vascular surgeon to be sure I didn’t hurt my artery. I became more and more afraid and only wanted to go home but I waited to see him. I was lucky to see the chief of surgery at the hospital who is a very good vascular surgeon in the Baltimore area. He did an angiogram and saw how badly my artery was injured. Things became a whirlwind and I was whisked away to surgery before I even knew what had happened. I have never in my life felt so terrified I couldn’t understand the rush. I thought my life was in danger again and that’s why we were in such a hurry. I woke up from surgery confused and groggy. My vascular surgeon came to see me and told me I was extremely lucky to be alive and that I came close to losing my leg. He shocked me beyond words. I just hit my year anniversary. I know I’m lucky to be alive and I know this has made me a better person and changed my life for the better. I feel so fortunate I had life threatening injury that became a limb threatening injury and the only lasting effect is a little nerve damage in my left leg that is slowly improving

Reply: Not an ordinary bike ride.
by Courtbrown96 on Sep 05, 2018, 04:21PM

I’m sorry to hear about your accident but I’m glad you are doing better. I was in an a pedestrian vs. Car accident and the way my body took impact they was worried. I ended up having a hole in my right thigh and they was worried that my artery had been cut. I know after my accident it made me greatful because I am still here.

by EileenFlores on Sep 05, 2018, 04:25PM

Wow. Thank you for sharing your story. That’s inspiring that you thought of your young daughter and how that gave you strength during those critical moments. Happy anniversary after your accident. TSN is cheering for you! If you would like to share your story under survivor stories on the TSN website, please let us know. Just e-mail eflores@amtrauma.org

by EileenFlores on Sep 05, 2018, 04:30PM

Courtney, Thanks for sharing your story. You are brave. That is great that recovering from your injury has now made you feel more grateful for your life. TSN is cheering for you! If you are interested in sharing your story on the TSN website under Survivor Stories, please just e-mail eflores@amtrauma.org for more info.

by Vlm509 on Sep 05, 2018, 07:48PM

Thank you Courtney. I know how it feels to be thankful to be alive. I am thankful every day now and feel like it has made me a better person for sure. Was your artery severed too or did they just suspect it ?

by Courtbrown96 on Sep 05, 2018, 09:34PM

They suspected it because when my body got hit it caused a hole in my leg

by Pprayers on Dec 20, 2018, 03:31AM

On January 29, 2017, I didn’t have a normal bike ride myself. I was cycling South on a tour on a rural highway South of Dixon, Illinois. The shoulder that I was riding on disappeared. It had been replaced by a dirt and stone shoulder used by farm equipment. Probably around 2:30 pm, my bicycle was struck from the behind. The blow was so strong that my tennis shoes were knocked off, I flew maybe 20 or 30 feet flipping horizontally and vertically several times, and I slammed into the asphalt on my back facing the opposite direction that I was traveling. The person who hit me was a 24 year old guy who was speeding (at least 60 mph) while reading a text from his girlfriend. Because there was concern that I suffered from back and head trauma, I was put on a back board and transported by a Life Flight helicopter to the Level 1 Trauma Center at Mercy Hospital in Rockford, Illinois (70 miles away). I had sustained a fracture in my left shoulder blade and a fracture in my right pelvis. I didn’t need surgery but there was neuro-muscular damage to my legs. I was in the hospital for eight days. Because of the neuro-muscular damage, I had to relearn how to walk. The neuro-muscular damage wasn’t fully diagnosed. It took me two months to go from a walker, to a cane with four feet, to a regular cane. This was without any real physical therapy. I was my own therapist. By the first of December, I was off the cane. I still have pain and problems with my legs. It really hurts getting out of a chair if I sat down a long time or hurts when I get out of bed. I struggle the first five or eight steps but once I am walking I don’t have any further problems with walking. My legs do tire quicker than normal.

by Vlm509 on Jan 13, 2019, 01:01PM

Wow! That’s so scary. I thought I was safe from serious injury by not road riding. Have you gotten back the bike? I might this spring or summer. Idk. It’s easy to think about but hard to bring myself to do it. A broken pelvis sounds rough. I’m glad you didn’t have a spine injury landing on your back like you did