Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

18 Wheeler ran a red light

18 Wheeler ran a red light
by BERNADETTE DEUPREE on Sep 19, 2018, 08:39PM

I was driving on a country rd to watch my daughter play basketball at school…….I was stopped at a red light waiting to cross a busy street when my light turned green I slowly drove my suv into the intersection and do not remember anything after that… Witnesses stated that an 18 wheeler ran his red light and hit me on my drivers side front and then my suv was dragged in his trailer for a while……. I woke up 3 days later in the ICU in terrible pain …Brain Hemorrhage …Shattered left arm which has a rod in it but very lucky I still have it because Doctors almost amputated it…….14 broken ribs, broken collar bone with metal plate, broken sternum , broken L6, broken pubic bones, broken pelvis on both sides, broken right hip, broken L S1, broken L1 TP, ..Double vision and balance problems….. Was in ICU for 13 days……I came home instead of rehab because it was near Christmas and my husband and 4 children were all home to help me…. Thank goodness for my eldest daughter who is a trauma nurse and took care of me at the hospital and after for months…… I did go through a deep depression from month one until the month four and really wanted life to be over….I hope anybody reading this please know that it does pass and you will get through these awful feelings.. Its now 9 months later and I still have a lot of pain in my back , left arm and lots of nerve pain…But I am finally driving and getting out a little….

Reply: 18 Wheeler ran a red light
by Dlin9217 on Sep 19, 2018, 10:39PM

Amazing! With so many injuries it’s quite Incredible that you have such a positive outlook! Like you said it gets better, I’m over a year out and I completely agree.

by Courtbrown96 on Sep 20, 2018, 12:07AM

You are definitely right about the awful feelings passing. When you broke your hip did they have to put a rod in your hip? I broke my hip in a bad accident and they had to put a rod in mine.

by BERNADETTE DEUPREE on Sep 21, 2018, 04:36AM

Hi, I did not need a rod there but I had a rod in my arm and metal plates shoulder, clavicle area….

by BERNADETTE DEUPREE on Sep 21, 2018, 04:37AM

Glad you are feeling a lot better….Thanks for your reply…