Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Motorcycle Accident - Sorry but somewhat graphic

Motorcycle Accident - Sorry but somewhat graphic
by MattG on Dec 11, 2018, 05:02PM

September of 2017 I was in a motorcycle accident. It was quite serious. I will start there. I have been riding motorcycle for 20+ years. Since I was 14 to be more precise. I am an experienced rider. But this day I just wasn’t riding responsibly. I took a corner faster than I should have. On top of that the corner was a reverse berm. Normally corners are sloped downward, but this particular corner was the wrong way. I have been told by the emergency responders, who I am very glad to call friends now, that that particular corner is a regular call for them. I was not speeding, but I should not have been going the speed I was. As I went into the corner I realized that I was not going to complete the turn, I remember watching my front tire hit a post right below the guard rail. After that everything was in slow motion. My bike went up so that the front tire was straight up. I remember still being on the seat as it began to fall. The bike hung on the guard rail and I slipped down. I still had my hand on the throttle and falling down caused me to give it gas. This bike lurched upward again and this time I fell off. As the bike and I were falling my leg was caught between a post and the falling motorcycle. I watched it crush and sever my leg. I landed with my stomach on the guard rail. The bike fell on top of me and with the back tire still in gear and rotating it slid me across the guard rails sharp metal. Quite like a serrated knife. It cut me nearly in half. I had put my right hand down by reflex to soften my fall. It got caught between the motor and the rail and my right hand was nearly degloved. Most of the flesh had been torn off and was skeletal. When I finally landed, I was in shock. I bent down to pick up my leg with my degloved hand. And that’s when the seriousness of the accident hit me. My intestines spilled out. So with my severed foot in my right hand, I scooped up my own intestines with my left arm. It was jarring and what I remember most about it is how warm my intestines were. I tried to hop to the road in hopes that someone would see me. As soon as I reached the road I collapsed and fell on my back. An ambulance arrived then and I was taken to hospital. Over a year later and I am still recovering from the injuries to my abdomen. I will never get back full use of my right hand and I am now an amputee.

Reply: Motorcycle Accident - Sorry but somewhat graphic
by EileenFlores on Dec 11, 2018, 05:12PM

Matt, Thank you for sharing your story. Your injuries are very serious and we are thankful that you survived. As you look back over the last year of recovery as a trauma survivor, I hope you will see how far you have come since your initial accident. Please e-mail me if you would like to talk to another trauma survivor/amputee over the phone to connect more. We’re glad you have found the TSN Community.

Reply: Motorcycle Accident - Sorry but somewhat graphic
by Courtbrown96 on Dec 19, 2018, 07:25PM

Matt thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry to hear about your injuries but glad you’re here. If you ever need to talk I’ll listen as I am still recovering from an accident I had.