Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

20 years passed, but I keep thinking about it

20 years passed, but I keep thinking about it
by Nadia_K on Jan 07, 2019, 05:11PM

Hi. I really hope to find here some people who will understand my pain. That’s the reason why I found this place today. If you have something to say me, please leave a comment or send a privet massage. It happened 8.8.1998. I was 5 years old. My dad, mom, sister and I were going to my grandad birthday when it happened. The road was terrible. Where was a car on the other line which came too close to us and dad turned right and we felt in a big ravine. Than’t what my sister told me later. I remember only myself sitting in a lotus pose with a broken knee on the road covered with broken glass( I also has my lower jaw broken in 3 places). I was asking: where are my mom and my dad? When… I remember how the emergency took all of us and I sow my parents and all the horrible traumas whey’ve got. Like in a horror film. Sorry, I can not describe it here. I can just say that my dad got a craniocerebral injury and my mom’s face was fully crashed. My older sister only got some scratches, because the fell out of the car before our car started to turn handsprings After the accident we all were in a hospital for a long ling, except of my sister. And my dad was in coma for 2 month. There was a period when I didn’t know where my family is. Later on we all tried to live together, but my dad became really aggressive and my parents divorced and mom took me and my sister and left secretly. I know that my mom wanted to do it even before the accident. She had somebody else. But the thing is that it’s been 20 years since they are divorced my dad was always thinking that the accident is because of mom mom and he is very angry on her. During most of this time I was the one person from my family who was in such with dad. So he addressed all of his anger to me. Only during the last 4 years since I moved to another country things have been changed and my mom and my sister started to talk to him. And he became more calm. This situation and the relationships with my dad I’ve been having during all these years really effected my life in a bad way. I’d like to know how to deal with it. Thank you so much fir reading it.

Reply: 20 years passed, but I keep thinking about it
by EileenFlores on Jan 07, 2019, 05:45PM

Nadia, Thank you for sharing your survivor story. You are not alone. Many trauma survivors can relate to your experience. I have e-mailed you individually with some resources for finding a local counselor to talk to individually for therapy as well as some online mental health resources. Please let me know if you would like to connect over the phone with a TSN Peer Visitor as well. I’m happy to set that up. I hope that you will find connections with other trauma survivors here within the TSN Community. Thinking of you today. Eileen Flores eflores@amtrauma.org