Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

How Fast You can Lose Your Independence

How Fast You can Lose Your Independence
by ostrichrunner on Jan 07, 2019, 05:12PM

I don’t remember much of what happened but what I do remember is just as important. It was Wednesday February 21, 2018 and I was on my way home from work. I stopped to get gas after leaving the shop. I was 20 minutes from my house when I crashed into the other vehicle. I was driving my 2005 Hyundai santa fe when I had a head on collision with a Dodge 2500. I immediately blacked out upon impact. When I came to I felt very hot and tingly, as well as not being able to feel my legs. When the fire department and medics arrived on scene they immediately began working to get me out. One of the medics started administering Fentanyl and told me that both of my femurs were broken. The fire department had to cut the roof off in order to get me out. once the roof was cut the medics were able to recline my seat and transfer me to the board. They took me to the ambulance and prepared me for air lift. I was then airlifted to Baltimore Shock Trauma. I remember having to get a CT immediately upon arriving, as well as many nurses and doctors coming in and out to perform assessments. After receiving x-rays I was told that I had broken both femurs and my right patella. I had an 8 hour surgery where they placed a titanium rod in both legs and 2 pins in my right femoral head. On top of this I also lost all motor function in my right arm and a bad drop foot. I ended up spending a week and a half at Baltimore Shock Trauma from there I was transported to a rehabilitation facility. I would be in rehab for almost 2 months. At the rehab facility I had to learn to walk again. Nothing at this point had been easy I was having to learn how to do everyday basic stuff all over again. For my family I was essentially like having an infant all over again. I could not feed ,walk, or go to the bathroom myself. I had to rely on everybody else to help. Once I was finally aloud to go home things seemed fine but as time has gone on I have realized that the normal I once knew is gone.

Reply: How Fast You can Lose Your Independence
by EileenFlores on Jan 07, 2019, 06:16PM

Thank you for sharing your survivor story. You mentioned how hard it is to adjust to a “new normal” after trauma happens so suddenly. You are certainly not alone. I hope that you will be able to connect to other survivors and support through the TSN Community. If you are able to attend, Shock Trauma has a very active TSN Survivors Support Group. Details here: https://www.traumasurvivorsnetwork.org/trauma_c… I also sent you an e-mail with some links to some other resources that I hope will be helpful. We’re thinking of you today. Eileen Flores eflores@amtrauma.org

by Courtbrown96 on Jan 09, 2019, 04:03AM

Thank you for sharing your story. I was in a bad car accident and I now have drop foot. I understand about needing help and relearning how to walk. I tore everything in my right knee and have gone 2 AFO’s and now I have a KAFO because it’s a lot better than wearing double braces. If you ever need to talk let me know.

by BillyFiliault on Jan 29, 2019, 06:11AM

I am glad you are okay. I know about having to rely on others for help with every day things also. And learning to walk again. 25’ fall. Broken pelvis in 5 places, and a torn tendon in shoulder. Torn through, so no use of the arm. It is so hard to cope. I hope your recovery is very successful. Mine is still young. Happened in August 2018. How have you been dealing with coping with all the emotions?? And when does it get a little better?

by ostrichrunner on Jan 29, 2019, 07:49PM

I started seeing a therapist who specializes in trauma, as well as my day to day therapist. I also recently enrolled in the Next Steps program. http://www.nextstepsonline.org/ I found that by setting a goal to reach I was able to build a new life. For me it was to go to university as I was unable to in 2018. But now I am in university and starting my new life.

by atsintern on Feb 02, 2019, 08:35PM

It is great to hear that Next Steps is helping you! You are not alone in how drastically you have experienced life changing. It is great to hear that you have also been able to see a therapist who specializes in trauma. Feeling like you do not want to do such things is a common sentiment among survivors, but I am glad you are taking such steps to continue recovering. Please reach out (whenever you can) with more updates of how you are doing.