Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

2 years and another surgery

2 years and another surgery
by eahartnett on Jan 21, 2019, 08:59PM

Hello- I broke both my legs in a skiing accident on January 29, 2017. I was in a racing clinic and working on tight turns on an icey and steep slope. As I headed into a turn I lost focus, probably crossed my tips and crashed forward tumbling into the safety netting on the side of the slope. My skis released, but my boots were snagged in the net and my body continued to twist until I nearl twisted off my right foot. I sustained a pilon fracture and fib break on my right and a femur fracture in my left. I had initial fixation surgeries on both legs the night of the accident and a follow up on my right then days after the accident. My right ankle hurts so bad sometimes I think about amputation as a choice. My femur and left hip have continued to hurt me. After months of the doctors telling me they could find nothing wrong with my hip, I have recently been diagnosed with a 30 degree retroversion, nonunion, and malunion to my left femur. I have surgery scheduled in two weeks to hopefully fix all of that. Two years of scar tissue will complicate things. I have terrible anxiety. After my second surgery on my right foot, I lost blood flow to the foot in two arteries. I was in agony all night and the nurse refused to call a doctor. I didn’t sleep a wink. I think I may have cried for ten hours straight. I think the on call doctor was finally called at 3 or 4 in the morning to increase pain medicine. I have anxiety of being all alone again and not having any relief. That was one of the worst nights of my life. I am headed to HSS for this surgery. I was hoping to have a family member stay the night with me but I am told that you can’t do that unless you pay for the private room (which is out of my budget). Anyone have any similar fears heading into surgery?

Reply: 2 years and another surgery
by Dsbuk on Jan 21, 2019, 10:28PM

I’m sorry to hear you’re about to have surgery again. Yes I do suffer with anxiety and PTSD around surgeries as I’ve had so many over the years. Last year I had brain surgery and I told the surgeon about my anxiety and she put me in touch with a therapist at the hospital and I met with her a few times before the surgery as I was so scared. The therapist then brought in the anesthesiologist to meet with me the week before surgery. They put a plan together which included working through all my fears but they also used a drug before surgery that they normally give to war veterans with PTSD and anxiety. I have to say it was the easiest surgery and I was soooooo calm!!! It was dramatically different to any surgery I’ve had before. I would definitely recommend talking to your dr or therapist about your fears…then u can get the support u need for the best outcome. Also, our fears tend to think the worst and imagine our recovery and surgery will be like the last. I’ve been surprised at how often I’m wrong about the outcome or recovery. I suggest writing down a list of your fears and asking yourself the likelyhood of that happening…then what is most likely to happen. Also write a list of what u need to support wise and then ask for help in those specific areas. It’s all about planning for the best outcome :) Let me know if I can support you in any way. Happy to help

by atsintern on Jan 23, 2019, 05:18PM

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the forum, Elizabeth. I am deeply sorry to hear about the complications with the surgeries you had and how they’re affecting other areas of body functionality. I am also sorry to hear about the negative experiences you had with care at the hospital. The very fact that you continue to strive ahead and seek to undergo more recovery procedures is evidence of how strong you are in the midst of such a difficult moment. We would like to offer peer support services if you are interested. We can connect you with other survivors and resources related to the type of traumatic experiences you have had. We can set up a phone call for you to talk to a TSN peer visitor who is either a trauma survivor or a family member of a trauma survivor. Please let us know if this would be helpful for you at this time. > My email is the following: intern@amtrauma.org → A great resource I would recommend is the National Center for PTSD’s Self-help and Coping – PTSD, which is aimed at helping survivors respond to stress reactions following trauma. This is the link for that resource: https://www.ptsd.va.gov/gethelp/selfhelpcoping… → If you can, also check out TSN social media resources and website for similar content. → We are thinking of you as you continue on your healing journey. → - Oscar

by atsintern on Jan 23, 2019, 05:34PM

Thank you for your uplifting words of encouragement, Dan. Our community is empowered by people who have had such similar experiences and who can offer support and empathy to those currently undergoing them. We appreciate your presence in the community forum. — Oscar