Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

hit by a car after 2 family members die

hit by a car after 2 family members die
by NaToshaP on Oct 09, 2020, 01:12PM

First let me tell you that I joined this group, not for myself, but for my father. My little brother died on December 13th 2018, my mom passed away a month later-to the day. It gets worse… in the middle of the year anniversary of their deaths, my dads car broke down and he was walking home when he got struck by a van going 60 miles an hour. He almost died. He was on life support. He shattered his knee, had a tracheotomy, spinal surgery (twice) and he suffered a traumatic brain injury. To make things worse, while he was in a coma I tried to contact his mortgage company. They would not speak to me because I was not on the loan. Well my moms dead, and my dads in a coma. I don’t know which one they would have wanted to talk to first. So here I am helpless and alone. My dads house goes into foreclosure. Things got worse before they got better. My dad made a miraculous recovery. He is walking, talking, figuring out to pick up the pieces. He is angry too. He has a “Why me?” attitude and I don’t blame him. I know that I have been through a lot as well, but my dad was hit by the van. I can support him all day long, but he needs to talk to people who understand his pain.

Reply: hit by a car after 2 family members die
by katherinejoseph on Oct 12, 2020, 06:01PM

Hi NaTosha, I’m so sorry for the loss of your mom and brother. Dealing with grief is so emotionally and physically draining and then adding on everything with your dad, I’m sure has taken a toll on you. I am so happy to hear that he has had a miraculous recovery. I would love to connect you and your dad with other trauma survivors and family members – I know this is hard on you too. I believe we’ve already connected via email but feel free to reach me at kjoseph@amtrauma.org or 703-399-6001. Hope to hear from you soon! – Katherine

Reply: hit by a car after 2 family members die
by MikeDHolmes on Nov 23, 2020, 11:12AM

Dear Na ToshaP, My name is Michael Holmes. Your father is one tough mug. Remember that. You are as well. I believe. Having the wherewithall to even contact the mortgage company. Something I would have failed at miserably. It is remarkable ,to me, how we are waylaid by events such as this in Life. At times like this. In my experience. Life seems to speed up. In my case. I lost any suppirt network, personal support network, that is.There was an otherworldly presence that came to my aid. I grapple with death every day and night. This makes you a stronger better person. Even though ofentimes you may be too hard on yourself. Dont, please blame yourself or you father. I am not suggesting that you do. But I know I am guilty if doing so. I just wanted to reach out to you and say to you you are not alone.