Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

June 20th changed my life.

June 20th changed my life.
by Biancasan5 on Oct 12, 2020, 05:45PM

I was in a very severe accident on June 20th around 4 pm. I was on my way home after a biking day. I was only like 10 minutes away so I didn’t think much of it. As I was exiting a neighborhood I was T-boned on the drivers side and I was immediately impacted. I lost consciousness, and I was unable to breathe. The whole street got closed down and people rushed to help me, finally a helicopter came for me to transport me to University hospital. My family rushed to the hospital and wasn’t able to see me until that night. I was still unresponsive and I had blood all over my face. I broke my pelvis, ribs and my airway was closing. I don’t remember my accident at all or the days leading up to it. My ICU time is almost a complete blur to me. There I had little memory and had tubes and cables all around my body. I remember waking up in Acute and I was completely mortified and confused at to why I was even in the hospital. The worst part was not being able to see my family because of COVID. I had never felt so scared or alone. This seemed like an impossible battle. Around July 15th my memory started coming back and I had to accept the fact that I had been in an accident. I also had to accept that I couldn’t walk. I had a couple of ER visits and emergency surgeries due to my breathing, but today I can say after 4 months I can walk again. It’s been a long recovery road but I am determined to live. I still have a lot of recovering to do but I will not give up without a fight.

Reply: June 20th changed my life.
by katherinejoseph on Oct 12, 2020, 05:56PM

Hi Bianca, Thank you so much for sharing your story. Wow! I can’t even imagine all you have gone through and the feelings of isolation with COVID. I hope you find comfort in reading others stories here on the community forum. We also have opportunities to connect you with other survivors through a peer visitation program and virtual support groups. I’d be happy to chat more. Feel free to email me at kjoseph@amtrauma.org or call me at 703-399-6001. We are rooting for you as you continue on your journey to recovery! – Katherine

Reply: June 20th changed my life.
by Joni Boudreaux on Nov 23, 2020, 02:02AM

Hi Bianca, Thank you for sharing your story. My accident was on Sept 4 2020 and sounds like we experienced alot of the same things. I flipped my car over 100yrds, no memory of the accident but like you, so much happened so fast. I almost lost my leg but with great determination it was saved and I am started to walk again. Facing these long roads of recovery can get very depressing but the fight inside is greater and I’m not giving up either. I commend you for all the hard work your are putting in to get through this, I know it isnt easy, keep up that fighting spirit.