Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Burned arm when I was young

Burned arm when I was young
by Justguy on Mar 10, 2021, 02:25PM

I had knocked over hot soup when I was very young. I have lived with this burn from my bicep to my upper forearm, where the bend is. Growing up I wore long shirts or just tried to bend my arm when walking. I’m an adult with kids now but I still try to cover just so I don’t get looks. Especially from kids or just ignorant people. I’ve always heard of plastic surgery but thinking the cost is expensive I never checked it out. At times I still feel sad about it and just wanted to share. I want to go out in a T-shirt and sometimes I try to have the strong attitude and not care but it’s difficult. If you relate, have advice or positive feedback I’d appreciate it..

Reply: Burned arm when I was young
by katherinejoseph on Mar 10, 2021, 06:52PM

Hi there, thank you so much for sharing your story and for being brave to share that you have your good days and your bad days. I want you to know that you are not alone and I think talking with others who have experienced something similar could be very beneficial for you. I also want to point you in the direction of the Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors. https://www.phoenix-society.org They offer virtual support where you can connect with someone else and share about your scars and how your injury has impacted your life. I do hope you find the support you are looking for and please reach out if I can assist in any way. Katherine Joseph, kjoseph@amtrauma.org