Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Hit the back of a dump truck at 70 mph.

Hit the back of a dump truck at 70 mph.
by Jnnfrr on Nov 01, 2022, 07:07PM

I was driving home from a job interview. I got off the freeway to take a break from my drive get out walk around so I wouldn’t get tired tired. I’ve got back on the freeway and next thing I know there’s a dump truck dead in front of me and I’m going 70 miles an hour and it looks like it’s parked. I was so close to it I had no choice but to slam the brakes on my little car I was driving a Nissan Juke. Next thing I know I’m waking up and I can’t breathe and I can’t move anything from the waist down II look at my left arm and it’s completely black and my hand is off center from my arm so the end of my arm is at the middle of my hand I don’t know how to explain it to where you can’t understand what I mean by that. I’m struggling for every breath I possibly get when someone comes to my aid and keeps me alive by calming me down he helped me get ahold of my mom and my son to tell them I had been in an accident and he stayed with me for an hour while we waited for help to show up. During this hour he kept talking to me and waking me up to make sure I was alive I stopped breathing numerous times and he made sure I got that next breath, Even though all I wanted to do was give up. From what I understand it took an hour to get me out of the car due to the engine being in the front seat with me and my femur being stuck in the middle console. I was finally life flighted to where I currently am which is sharp memorial hospital I’ve been here for a month. Every day I have to tell myself one day at a time and it will be better tomorrow everyday is gonna be a little bit better I arrived here with enough fluid in my lungs to drown myself and 52 broken bones. In the beginning when I 1st got here I’ll all I wanted to do was die every day for the 1st week was so hard I didn’t understand why I was still alive and why I was in so much pain. Why would the universe put anybody through this why couldn’t I just die. But after that 1st week when I started understanding that I’m lucky to be here and the fact that I have the greatest nursing staff I’ve ever met and and that my attitude makes all the difference in my recovery I started feeling better. It’s hard because nobody I know has gone through anything like this and I still don’t know where this is gonna take me if I’ll be able to walk if I’m gonna be able to Still be able to do the things I used to love Or even walk the same as I used to will I ever live A-day without pain and it’s overwhelming. There are days where I sit here and feel so sorry for myself that I just cry by myself and I can’t let anybody see it because I don’t want anybody to know how scared I really am And how lonely I really feel. I do know that I am lucky to be alive and I cherish every day that I have I just hope it does get better than this and I hope that I can go back to being who I am

Reply: Hit the back of a dump truck at 70 mph.
by Twana on Nov 22, 2022, 03:48AM

Hey, Jnnfrr: Holy smokes. I cannot imagine what you are going through. I was in the hospital only a month, and that seemed like such a long time. Sounds like you have a ways to go but are making progress. Daily pain is the worst. It’s okay to be scared. It’s okay to be grateful and scared at the same time. It’s okay to be grateful, scared, angry and lonely all at the same time. Whatever we feel, we feel. I’m glad to hear you have good staff. I did, too. I took pictures with every one of them. I hope they know how much they are appreciated. Twana in Tennessee

by Anawilliam850 on Jan 16, 2023, 01:20PM

Hi! wow I cannot imagine what you are going trough, that was shocking

by Yaks on Feb 04, 2023, 08:33AM

Hey J. I wanted you to know that your story touched me this evening. It is helped my pain and loneliness as I deal with my much less Challenging recovery. I hope it’s OK to say to you that I am lifting you up to the universe for blessings.

by qro01 on Dec 28, 2023, 11:28PM

Hi! I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I was also in an accident and I understand waking up and being in pain. Going to sleep and being in pain. I understand the constant pain and wonder if it will always be like this. I am also unsure if I will get to do all the stuff I love doing. I’m grateful to be alive but sometimes I wish I could have just died. People tell me that I survived because I am meant to do great things but most times I don’t know why I survived. I will say that the pain has been less severe so that’s a plus! My PTSD has also been a lot less intense. Although I still question why this happened I can say that it has gotten better for me. I guess we just need time to adjust to this big change we have been dealt with.