Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Mass Shooting Survivor

Mass Shooting Survivor
by landon38 on Dec 19, 2022, 06:15PM

Hello, I’m new here and apologize if I have made an error using this system. On May 1, 2022 I was at work and was shot my a mass shooter. The gunman shot 12 people, everyone survived luckily. I took a bullet to the hip and broke my femur. Due to all the adrenaline and what was happening, I believed I was shot in the femoral artery and that my life was ending. I spent 25 days total between a regular hospital and a rehab hospital. I did months of physical therapy and I can now walk normally. However, I no longer feel comfortable in society and the world. I struggle to find purpose and meaning after such a dark event. I have considered suicide, I have pushed friends and family away. And I’m struggling to get back on track in my life. I’m doing therapy, taking medication, but nothing is working. The attention and the spotlight that was on me when the news broke back home (I was out of state for college) has also not helped and I am extremely nervous and uncomfortable when I see a former high school pal or someone I know around town. I struggle with nobody else understanding me. I struggle with searching for answers and only seeing one type of shooting talked about, a school shooting (obviously very horrible in itself, but my situation doesn’t quite match that.) most people that go through things like this are no longer alive. I should feel grateful but I don’t. I was hoping to see if I could find someone that’s been in a situation like this. Thank you

Reply: Mass Shooting Survivor
by tiggy857 on Jan 12, 2023, 04:08PM

I hope every day gets easier for you. Healing is extremely complicated. Everyone is different. I know there are other survivors on here that have experience something similar to you. My hopes for you are that you are able to contact someone. You are important and deserve a good life. I will keep you in my prayers.