Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Oxford High School Shooting

Oxford High School Shooting
by Kiley archer on Dec 19, 2022, 06:16PM

November 30th, 2021 Was the day I ran for my life. As the one year anniversary rolls around (in 3 days) I’m ready to share my story. As of then, I was a 14 year old freshman. Many say that day felt “off” or “weird”, to me it felt like any other day that year. As I was waiting in my 4th hour with Summer, my best friend since kindergarten, I was watching the clock tick so we could leave for next hour. We were excited for passing time as any highschooler is. You get to see your friends, chat for a little, do a couple of laps around the school, etc. The things I would’ve done if I never left my 4th hour classroom. The bell rang. Summer and I began to walk to our next hour. We got only a little before we realized our friends ex boyfriend was talking bad about our friend. So like all high schoolers do, we took out our AirPods and tried to listen to the drama the most we could. We couldn’t believe what we were heard, we were in shock. Summer and I chatted for a little bit and we saw kaena ( another friend of ours) Kaena was next to Hana. Hana and I drifted apart from each other that summer. I told kaena to follow us, and we left Hana there. Hana said” I love you, bye” to kaena and we walked away. That will forever be my greatest mistake, leaving Hana there. We filled kaena in with the drama while we turn left into the 200s hallway Little did we know there was a 15 year old boy loading his gun in the bathroom we just passed by. “Bye Kaena!” I said to her as she walked away. Summer and I turned around. We should’ve stayed with kaena but than we heard it. The bullets. The screams. The doors slamming. All of it. I froze. One of the worse things you can do during school shooting, and I did it…. Froze. Left and right, everyone began to yell “ RUN” and “ SHOOTER” so I followed them. I made eye contact with a teacher who immediately slammed the door in my face. 5 bullets went off. “IS THIS REAL”. Summer dragged me down the hall as started to sprint away. “Shit shit shit” I said to myself. I ran and ran until summer yelled my name “ KILEY”. People kept running down the hall. “ THIS DOORS UNLOCKED” she yelled. That door left outside. We booked it out the door like many kids that day did. The fresh snow outside was very slippery like many Michigan days. Kids one by one began falling. So did summer. “SUMMER WHERE ARE YOU” No response. I kept going, not knowing where she went. There she ways a couple feet around me. I remember many things that day which I wish I never had gone through. “ we need to leave right now.” It hit me that our school just got shot up. Who got shot? How many more are there? Is everyone okay? As the cold breeze hit my face we found someone with a car. We jumped in, and headed down ray road while some stranger called 911. Meijer was our schools emergency location in case something bad happened. In case of a school shooting, everyone would evacuate and walk to Meijer. I was shaking and my heart was pounding. Hours went by. Many more things happened between the time I got to meijer and the time I went to bed. The worst thing happened Hana didn’t make it. None of us believe it. None of us. Still in shock to this day that she’s gone. Why her. Why would that happened. Why did we have to go through that. WHY IS IT SO NORMALIZED? So many questions but not many answers. Not a day goes by where I don’t think about it. Hana I’m sorry this world failed you. I’m sorry to the people who got shot that day, and the three others that died that day. No one deserves this.

Reply: Oxford High School Shooting
by tiggy857 on Dec 21, 2022, 04:34AM

I am so very sorry for what you experienced.