Car Accident at 15
by Ash_kai123 on Mar 23, 2023, 08:11PM

On May 4th, 2018 I was 15 years old. Me and three friends were on the way to the movies that Friday night, I was 5 minutes from my house. I was sitting behind the passenger seat. While making a left hand turn the driver of the car I was in was very inexperienced and turned very slow (so I’m told, I don’t remember anything about the accident). In a truck coming the opposite direction was another inexperienced driver and his girlfriend. He was speeding and distracted, he t-boned the car I was in directly where I was sitting. His truck flipped and landed on the tires and the car I was in spun around like a top. I was the only one injured in the accident. I was rushed to UofL hospital with severe life threatening injuries. I suffered from a pre aortic aneurysm, right femur compound fracture, fractured pelvis, 4 missing teeth, severed ureter tube, right orbital fracture, and a right renal bleed that almost killed me. Since the surgeons couldn’t find where the bleed was coming from they performed an open abdominal and chest exploratory surgery and a pelvic exploratory surgery, which they left open to heal from the inside out. I spent 24 days recovering in UofL hospital, 10 days in the ICU and 14 days in acute care and I spent 25 days at Frazier Rehab. I was unable to walk or stand due to my pelvic fracture so I was confined to my bed and a wheel chair until my last week in rehab. Once I got home I spent months in outpatient physical therapy and occupational therapy since I suffered from ataxia in my left arm. Over the past 5 years I have had to grow up very quick, I missed out on the best of my teen years having surgeries and hospital visits. I have had a lot of emotional, physical, and mental trauma from this accident. I was paired with a peer after my accident so I’m hoping to be able to help others the way I was helped through this program !